A little picture for you to enjoy... - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > A little picture for you to enjoy...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010, 02:19 AM   #21
andrewdell19
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
arizona
Posts: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentedhiker View Post
Since a mash can run for 45-1hr and beyond I can't see why steeping them would cause a problem. In fact if I was going to bother to steep them that long I'd probably at least make an attempt at a basic infusion mash with alpha amylase to get even more out if it.
Can you explain "basic mash infusion with alpha amylase"... I am relatively new to brewing (about 15 GF beers). Sorry if that is a dumb question.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:34 AM   #22
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Lcasanova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Park Ridge, IL
Posts: 980
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentedhiker View Post
Since a mash can run for 45-1hr and beyond I can't see why steeping them would cause a problem. In fact if I was going to bother to steep them that long I'd probably at least make an attempt at a basic infusion mash with alpha amylase to get even more out if it.
DUH good point
__________________
Lucky 13 Brewing Company
Est. 2009

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:51 AM   #23
fermentedhiker
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Maine
Posts: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdell19 View Post
Can you explain "basic mash infusion with alpha amylase"... I am relatively new to brewing (about 15 GF beers). Sorry if that is a dumb question.
Not a dumb question at all. I'm fairly new to brewing beer myself. Been mucking about with wine/cider etc... for years but only recently got the malt bug. So I'm sure someone will give a better explanation than I, but here goes;
Here's a link that might explain it
http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2008/0...on-mash-setup/

Adding a measured amount of heated to a target temp(called an infusion) and add to your milled grains. This will bring the mash up to a certain temp. This will allow the enzymes in the malt to break down the starches into sugars which the yeast can consume. Since you are dealing with GF grains they may or may not have sufficient diastatic power(which is the case if you didn't malt the GF grains or even if you malted them if you roasted them at high temps) you can add alpha amylase(an enzyme) to do the converting in place of what you would have had if you were using a traditional base malt.

My reason for suggesting it is that if you are steeping your crushed GF grains for an hour you are already doing 90% of the work of a mini mash anyways, so you might as well do the rest of it and get a little bit more out of your grains.
__________________
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~Thomas A. Edison

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:58 AM   #24
fermentedhiker
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Maine
Posts: 107

Actually here's a really good write up on how to do it on your stove top.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy...ng-pics-75231/
__________________
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~Thomas A. Edison

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:52 AM   #25
andrewdell19
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
arizona
Posts: 118

cool thanks man! Will try that out this coming brew! I try and brew once every two weeks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:33 AM   #26
andrewdell19
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
arizona
Posts: 118

Well I just got done with the 60 minute mash infusion and unfortunately the mash doesnt taste sweet. I must have done something wrong. 1 gallon of water, 2 lbs of buckwheat, 1/4 tsp of amylase enzyme. I guess we will see once I take the starting gravity after the boil.

Updated: Upon second tasting the mash does have a sweetish taste to it. And when i dripped a little on the stove it crystalized which means there is some sugar in it! Starting gravity is about 1.065 so that is a good sign.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #27
DKershner
 
DKershner's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdell19 View Post
Well I just got done with the 60 minute mash infusion and unfortunately the mash doesnt taste sweet. I must have done something wrong. 1 gallon of water, 2 lbs of buckwheat, 1/4 tsp of amylase enzyme. I guess we will see once I take the starting gravity after the boil.

Updated: Upon second tasting the mash does have a sweetish taste to it. And when i dripped a little on the stove it crystalized which means there is some sugar in it! Starting gravity is about 1.065 so that is a good sign.
What did you add to get to 1.065?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Enjoy STAD Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 8 12-08-2008 08:27 PM
Enjoy the 4th! hopboy General Chit Chat 10 07-04-2008 08:49 AM
I actually enjoy bottling Brewtopia Bottling/Kegging 21 03-12-2008 02:38 PM


Forum Jump