Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Neck band label shape?

Old 12-23-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
zythe84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Neck band label shape?

I am trying to create a custom neck band label for my bottle of brew, and I am having difficulty determining the exact shape that will make it wrap around the neck so that the top and bottom edges are straight.

I imagine there is some sort of formula to do this, but I haven't been able to figure it out. The neck is roughly a cone, and I have determined that the arc length of the top of the label needs to be equal to the circumference of the skinny part of the neck, and the arc length of the bottom of the label ought to be equal to the circumference of the fat part of the neck. This will make the label appear to be straight when it is applied to the bottle (this is what I'm aiming for). My problem however is determining what shape to make the curve, because although I know what to make the arc lengths, the diameter of the circle which they come from can be different, and it is this shape need to know.

Sorry if this post is confusing. If there is anyone who prides themself in math or geometry, please see if you can figure something out.

Thanks,

JohnBen

Old 12-23-2006, 09:51 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 451 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 109

How about - find a beer with a label that comes off easily with a bit of soaking (Sam Adams are pretty good), then just take it off and see?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Jazz hands!

Old 12-23-2006, 11:55 PM   #3
NurseNan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Try wrapping a strip of hockey or similar tape loosely in position, then crimping it to fit....take it off and you have a template. Apply to paper, smooth out the arc, and Voila!

Primary
nothing
Secondary
Date Mead, Oatmeal Cookie Braggot, Fox in Sox Gruit
Aging
Hard lemonade, Cyser, Golden Plum Mead
Ginger-Orange Mead,
Agave Mead, Chocolate/Cinnamon Mead, Heather mead,
Bottled/Drinking
Heather Ale, Emerald Honey Kolsch, Hobgoblin clone, Terror of the Ewes Oatmeal Stout,
Kilt liftin' Wee Heavy, Soggy Doggy English Brown Ale, Saaz/Perle Mead, Cinnamon Mead, Shiraz,
Sauvignon Blanc, white merlot, Elderberry Mead, Vanilla Mead

Old 12-24-2006, 04:53 AM   #4
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Here's the formula...

(T*d2/(pi+A)-3.792567843*k+E/32*(A+97403P)+657.2adcI) * (65812E/72C) +(E/32cO98F) / ((T98*pi)*(AP42-69E) / (A23/pi*42ND)-(M*3.14833679243A) + (KE98*AT/(775849*EM- (((P*pi/76)*L+31245)/A42+T91) + E

The values are as follows:

"use the capital letters"

Sorry, but I'm under the influence of too much post fermented wort and couldn't resist....

Zip ties are the duct tape of the 21st century

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay

Old 12-24-2006, 05:02 AM   #5
treehouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Mathematics

The mathmatics of an ascending cone, such as on a beer bottle neck, would require that a Euclidian non-parallel trapizoid would be required. To avoid wrinkling, apply differential vector analysis. Or...easier would be to do what bird or the nurse suggested and trace it out. Good luck.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:11 AM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Use some duct tape and an exacto knife to carve your own on the bottle then remove the template and transfer it to paper.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:33 AM   #7
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 699 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
Use some duct tape and an exacto knife to carve your own on the bottle then remove the template and transfer it to paper.
Even easier would be to peel the neck label off of one of your commercial favorites and scan or trace it.

Old 12-24-2006, 04:16 PM   #8
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
Even easier would be to peel the neck label off of one of your commercial favorites and scan or trace it.
That's 'rus'lin (a stealin') and we don't take kindly to thangs like that 'round here'...