Does this look normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpzep4

Reaction score
Used washed WL Burton Ale approx. 3 months old. 1.5L starter. Was going to trash the starter due to some STRONG cider smells. Had to go out of town for a week. Forgot about starter. When I came home smelled like beer, tasted like beer so I pitched it.

ESB extract kit. Had a 36 hour lag time, not much krausen to speak of and after 6 days in primary still have a good bit of ferm. action going on. Been very aware of temps this batch. Water bath temp 60-65 at all times.

Obviously this yeast was not the healthiest but does this look normal. In my previous batches I've never really been able to see the surface due to heavy krausen so i don't know if these "colonies" are yeast or something I don't want. Smells out of the airlock are nice! Thanks

DSC01772.jpg
[/IMG]

Oh Man!!!!

Your beer is toast!! Finish fermenting, bottle it and send to me so I find out where you went wrong.

;)

It looks great. That's just yeast riding the CO2 bubbles to top of beer. Relax and enjoy.

Could be that the yeast has mutated to a non-krausening form. Doesn't mean the beer is bad or good. It is strange to have a lack of krausen. It is possible, if your temps are high, that the krausen formed and fell overnight.

I think that Revvy calls them 'yeast rafts'. I have had them using certain English Ale yeasts.

They should floc out eventually, in my experience.

I'm pretty confident that it'll be fine.

Back