Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Extract - Double Drunk Monk Belgian Dark

Old 10-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #31
Moratorium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks for the update. So you decided to go longer on the primary. I typically go two+ weeks and then secondary but others have their thing too. I can't wait to get this going on Sat. Please keep us updated as mine will be coming in on your tailwind.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:09 AM   #32
kyleslattery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just brewed this tonight. My LHBS didn't have either of the Belgian Abbey yeasts, so the guy there recommended using Wyeast 3787 (Trappist High Gravity) instead, and I made a 1.7L starter with 2 packs (according to Mr. Malty). I also had to substitute New Zealand Motueka hops instead of the Styrian Aurora.

The wort tasted pretty good, so I'm very excited to see how this turns out! It's my first "big beer" and I haven't done a yeast starter before, so it was fun trying something new.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #33
kinkothecarp
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

I'm brewing this again - but I'm going to add some Kriek to it when I keg it and also will oak it for a little bit.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:09 PM   #34
Moratorium
Recipes 

I brewed this on Sat. I substituted the Syrian Aurora with more Northern Brewer (per the LHBS suggestion) as I couldn't get the other. I guess I'll see how it turns out. At 12 hrs in, it started bubbling decently and is still going strong. Didn't reach the OG listed (mine topped at at 1.080) so my yield won't be as strong. It will still be a tasty beer none-the-less.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #35
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 314 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moratorium View Post
Thanks for the update. So you decided to go longer on the primary. I typically go two+ weeks and then secondary but others have their thing too. I can't wait to get this going on Sat. Please keep us updated as mine will be coming in on your tailwind.
I only went longer on the primary because it wasn't done fermenting. OP says his was done in a week with no starter and then a 3 day secondary. If mine was done after 7 days, I might have followed his instructions, but it wasn't even close (I did a half gallon starter). I'm usually one to go at least 3 weeks in primary anyway, but OP seemed to think more time in bottles would be beneficial.

As of today, it's still in primary (3 weeks now) but I haven't checked the gravity since last week. When the SG finally levels out, I'll probably go straight to bottles and skip the secondary.

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 11-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #36
Moratorium
Recipes 

Mine went three weeks in the primary and I racked it into the secondary. I will most likely keep it in there for a couple weeks to clear and then bottle. SG was at 1.024. Smells great and tasted really good as well. It is really hot right now but I am sure a little aging in the bottle will smooth some of that out. This recipe might be a keeper for me but time will tell. Updates to come....

Old 11-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #37
Pandaren
Recipes 

This brew definitely smooths out with aging, so imagine it with a quarter of that hotness.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #38
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 314 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 344

I added a couple of ounces of sugar and some boiled yeast, and SG has started dropping again, a few bubbles here and there- around 1.026. I'll probably bottle it next week if it's stopped bubbling again. Pretty sweet and thick, but extremely tasty. I think if I brewed it again, I would actually leave out the malto (it's pretty thick right now), but the real test will be when the beer is carbed and conditioned. The flavors have really started to come together and its about 1/2 as hot as it was before. Can't wait to get this bad boy carbed up. Now just need to go raid the local brunches for champagne bottles.

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 11-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #39
mallob9
Recipes 

I just did this brew and added a pound of orange blossom honey with the candi sugar at flameout. I totally forgot to take the gravity before pitching yeast (I was super excited and had a few beers) but the O.G. was 1.098. I'm pretty excited to see how this turns out.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #40
kyleslattery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I bottled this yesterday, after 4 weeks in the primary. It tasted great! There's quite a bit of alcohol, but I'm guessing that will mellow with time. This will be really great in a few months.