Well folks, I figured it was about time I give this a shot. Taking advice from all of the other threads I have read on the subject, I am determined to make something good come out of this.
Here is what I did:
8oz Corn Sugar
20 Lipton tea bags
I boiled the DME and Corn Sugar for 10 minutes to get dissolved and brought to rolling boil. (Full 1 gallon boil)
At flame out I added 20 lipton tea bags (about twice what we would usually use for 1 gallon of iced tea)
Let steep for 10 minutes and pull the bags out
Put the pot in an ice bath to bring temp down.
add yeast nutrient and aerate very well
Pour into 1 gallon cider jug and pitch 1 pkg Windsor yeast (cause thats what I had on hand)
I am hoping between the windsor yeast, the nutrient, and the extra tea, this should avoid many of the problems reported with previous batches posted here.
I took a taste of the "wort" when I took the gravity reading on my refractometer and it tasted pretty good - hopefully the yeast won't diminish the tea flavor and just eat through the maltiness of it.