For Love of Samichlaus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
Who else loves Samichlaus? I love this beer. I couldn't help myself, last night I did a side by side of my oldest vintage 2006 next to the newest 2009. It ages sooooo awesome. What a smooth and great beer! Let's here it from the Samichlaus crowd!

Also, for an awesome desert, try Samichlaus with some malted milk balls... mmmm

Samichlaus Bier

“Samichlaus” beer is brewed once a year, in each case on December 6th, and stored and matured afterwards for over 10 months before it is bottled. "Samichlaus” beer can mature for many years in the bottle; older vintages obtain a complexity and receive their creamy warm aftertaste. This beer can be served with heavy meals and desserts, particularly with chocolate - or as digestive and meditations drink. According to the Guinness Book of Records, it is the strongest lager beer in the world with 14 % alcohol and 32° original extract content. It is brewed exclusively of natural raw ingredients after the purity requirement of 1516. “Samichlaus” beer is filled in a 0.33 litre designer bottle embossed with Schloss Eggenberg and in barrels of 15 and 30 litres for export.

728_Samichlaus.JPG

http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000100.html

It was stopped in the 90's but came back in 2000. I got hooked in 2006 when I bought my first 4 pack. I have been buying it ever since and treat myself every once in a while.

I have a 3 liter bottle of this at home. I think it is a 2008.

I have two bottles of the helles around, too. Pretty interesting beer for sure.

so good! I had a "Samichlaus Classic" Thursday night to cap off my evening among other things. It was very sweet, said bottled in 2008? I'll have to try making a clone of this some day.

Ok, I'll repost my other post here (I didn't know that there was a Samichlaus thread):

"Just picked up a bottle of this two days ago, and I just cracked her open. Pretty good stuff. Not for every occasion. But damned tasty! I've never had a four year old beer before.

I was going to save it, but the store that I bought it from still has a couple, so I figured I would try it. Should I buy the rest? I'm not sure how rare this beer is, but at 14% abv I'm sure it will continue to age well.

I will say that I am enjoying this much more that DFH120.

Tasting notes:
Smell: some alcohol, some butterscotch, maybe a little raisin
Taste: Some complexities going on. Almost too hard to describe.
Seems a bit sweet. lots of caramel taste. Kind of rum tasting. A little bit of an oaky nutty berry edge. I'm not really sure that I can taste or smell hops at all. Kind of grows on you as you drink it."

Yes, that post was early in the AM, but I'm working midnights this week. Totally drank it on a whim though.

But honestly, it was quite a different beer. I would treat this more like a wine or liquor than a beer. It wasn't even like a strong RIS or anything. DFH120 is the best I can compare it to.

So, should I buy the rest of the 06' bottles? I'm leaning towards yes, because they don't seem that abundant. It's just kind of weird that I can buy a four year old beer, because nobody bought it.

Anyways, cheers! :mug:

Samichlaus is not rare in general, but older vintages are a little harder to buy.

For future samichlaus drinking, I think it would be better to buy it when it comes out and age it yourself, but if I see something like an 06 Samichlaus I'll notice it.

It's not rare/valuable like, say, an older vintage Thomas Hardy's. If you want 2006 Samichlaus, the easiest and cheapest way to get it will be your store.

Back