Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Trying my hand at the St Paul HBC Method

Old 06-10-2010, 05:02 AM   #1
KCWortHog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Trying my hand at the St Paul HBC Method

Last year, husband & I happened upon this powerpoint from the 2008 NHC - http://www.ahaconference.org/present...ngland_NHC.pdf

I bought a 5-pound jug of buckwheat honey a little while ago, so on Saturday I mixed together 3.5 pounds of the honey (reserving the rest for backsweetening & general use) with filtered water. Rehydrated 2g of 71B with 2.5g of Go-Ferm and added that to the honey + water. Along with that I added .4g of DAP and .9g of Fermaid K

On Sunday, I degassed.
On Monday, I degassed then added .4g DAP, .9g Fermaid-K, and 2ml of a 2M solution of KOH (Potassium Hydroxide to manage pH).
On Tuesday, I degassed.
Tonight, I degassed then added .4g DAP, .9g Fermaid-K, and 2ml of a 2M solution of KOH.
Tomorrow, I degass and Friday add the nutrients and KOH.
Saturday and Sunday are "degass" days, then the process is done.

Anyone else use this method? I'm looking forward to results, as the method seems to be proven and have produced several award-winning meads. Looking forward to what happens!

Old 06-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

I've not used this particular method, but it should work without problem. However, he is way off base with his comments about carbonates. The carbonates are very effective (and safer to store and use than potassium hydroxide). The carbonates don't hang around in the mead. When a carbonate meets and binds to a free acid ion (H+), it rearranges forming a molecule of CO2 and a molecule of H2O. The CO2 then proceeds to bubble off leaving nothing behind but the water. I'm not sure how that little bit of chemistry escaped folks who seem well versed in mead making (with a Ph.D. no less), but it is what it is. I also feel that there are some things that do take longer than 2 years to mature into something special, but in most cases, they are right -if it's crappy at 2 years don't expect miracles.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
KCWortHog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting. Interesting on the carbonates. Hmmmmmm.... I am going to have to do some reading I think... (as for storage & handling, I'm not concerned about it as we exercise good caution... but it is something for people to be aware of, in general)

Old 06-24-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
melchermatt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

how did this go? anything about the method you want to share now that you have tried it?

Old 06-25-2010, 01:54 AM   #5
KCWortHog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So far, so good. I'll be tasting it tomorrow (tasted it last week and it was fabulous). I'll post an update this weekend