Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > So what does oxidation taste like?

Old 06-10-2010, 04:31 AM   #1
dunnright00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default So what does oxidation taste like?

I think I heard it tastes like wet cardboard? That's kind of what this tastes like.

Also, does it get worse with time?

I'm drinking my brown ale (which I was sure got oxidized because of a leaky auto-siphon) and it tastes funky.

Weird thing is, I tasted it at 1 week, and it was good. Again, at exactly 2 weeks, and even better.
Then, literally the next day I tried one more and I tasted it (the cardboard). Now, two days later and it's a little worse.

I got 2 cases of this stuff....

“There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says, ‘Good People Drink Good Beer.’ Which is true, then as it is now. Just look around you in a public barroom and you will quickly see: Bad People Drink Bad Beer. Think about it.”
-- Hunter S. Thompson,

Reason: typos

Old 06-10-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yep...sorry.

Add this site to your favorites:

http://www.winning-homebrew.com/off-flavors.html

Old 06-10-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
kmk1012
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

MMMM! Wet cardboard is good with some salt from what I've heard!LOL! On a serious note, try to get something from this expirence-no oxygen=no wet cardboard. I've had a few turn out similar to yours.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Yeah, I know that oxygen = no good. Can't really help it though when your auto-siphon starts sucking air.

Oh well...

“There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says, ‘Good People Drink Good Beer.’ Which is true, then as it is now. Just look around you in a public barroom and you will quickly see: Bad People Drink Bad Beer. Think about it.”
-- Hunter S. Thompson,

Old 06-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I had a batch do that a while back. At 2 weeks great beers. At 3 weeks, YUCK! They were in half liter PET bottles so I tasted a few and all were that way. I popped the tops and swirled them until the foam reached the top and closed them back up. Within a day or two the funky taste disappeared.

I would try that before dumping them. I do not know why it worked, but it worked for my brew.

BTW: The beers were kept in the fridge the whole time.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You know how old chips or crackers taste stale? Not just in texture but also they just have a 'flat' flavor to them?

I've had oxidation start out like that as it progressed to the 'wet cardboard' kind of taste.

A little zip-tie can help keep the hose from allowing air to come in at the top of the racking cane. if you had air in the auto-siphon bottom, you need to make sure its nice and wet going in, and usually a single forceful pump will prevent air pockets from getting formed initially.

I do find that using an auto-siphon its handy to have two people involved...one to hold the tubing and one to run the auto-siphon until its started and 'safe'.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I sampled my last stir plate starter and thought it tasted of vinegar. I'm assuming it was massive oxidation that made it taste that way.. Dunno though..

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 06-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hmmm the off flavors site points to bacterial infection for vinegar, but I fermented out a beer with that yeast and it tastes great, no off flavors at all.. hmm...

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 06-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #9
bsdx
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd have to think the easiest way to taste oxidation would be to leave a glass of beer in open air for a number of hours and take a taste. Assuming there is enough air in the fridge it would keep it similar to a cold fresh sample, but you could also leave it out for hours or overnight. Ever smelled a beer glass from the previous day, spilled beer or old beer cans? Yuck! Not sure if there is more going on than oxidation. Maybe try stirring up a glass of beer considerably.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:45 AM   #10
oldschool
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think I have an APA that did this, but took about three months. just tastes kinda stale and the hops really died. It's kegged, but i think that has to be what it is. I guess we just have to be anal about it and purge everything with CO2