Vienna or Munich in a Saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidsmoke

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a saison with wyeast 3711. I was thinking of adding either Vienna or Munich malt to give it a little extra maltiness that I found lacking from the last brew I did that was mostly just pilsner and wheat malt.

My main question is what flavor differences are between the two? I ask because I expect the saison to finish rather dry and I expect any subtle malt flavors to shine through.

Here is my rough recipe:
60% pilsner malt
25% Vienna or Munich malt
10% wheat malt
5% flaked barley

hops: Strisserspalt

target OG: 1.054
target ibu: 20

In simplest term (as described to me) the Munich will provede the same general flavor but at a higher level than the Vienna. I think either would fit the purpose you have in mind. I like the addition of "non traditional" malts in saisons, as a mre traditional rustic style I find personal preference very appropriate in regards to recipe.

I know this is an old thread, but I've built a recipe that is similar except my wheat is 25% and my vienna is 10%. How did yoru recipe come out? Would you make and changes, any thoughts on my ratios? Also, what yeast did you use?

Thanks

Back