Getting ready for my 1st batch tomorrow - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Getting ready for my 1st batch tomorrow

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
chris19delta
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
TX
Posts: 42
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts



I'm getting ready to cook my 1st batch tomorrow, and want to make sure i haven't forgot any important prep steps. Anyone have a pre brew checklist?
Im gonna sanitize everything tomorrow morning and I've just finished boiling water in the new AL pot to build up an oxide layer. Slightly nervous lol

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
schmagy
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
wisconsin
Posts: 109
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


No brew checklist, but a link to a brew timer that will make your day less stressful... Configure the timers how you want and concentrate on other tasks like watching the boil or sterilizing....

http://www.beerbelliesbrew.com/HowItBegan.html

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Zamial
 
Zamial's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
WI
Posts: 3,183
Liked 178 Times on 158 Posts


Good luck and try not to worry. Focus on sanitation/temps and times during the boil. The 1st brew day is more about experience than anything else. You can read 10 books on how to fly an airplane but until you do it there really is no way to know what problems you will encounter.

I suggest having 1 gallon of spring water on hand in the fridge, it can help you cool the wort and it can save the day for under 1 dollar.

Remember this: People have been brewing beer for a LOOOONG time and it is pretty hard to screw it up.

Best of luck!
__________________
I'm not drunk, I'm from Wisconsin.
We have been out drinking your state since 1848!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
joelmole
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Houston, TX
Posts: 117
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I know this is very, very verbose, and it's tailored to the equipment that I have, my recipe, and the particular methods I chose to use, but this is the step by step checklist I made for my first brew day. I'll probably adapt it to be more generic for future brew days, so I can easily plug in other recipes. The fact that it was so verbose freed my mind so I didn't have to think of what step to do next, just had to follow the list.

The one thing to point out is that the section in there for hydrating the yeast is done in parallel to the brew. I prepped the boiled water for hydrating the yeast while the specialty grains were steeping, but it wasn't cooled to 95 degrees until close to the time I actually needed to pitch the yeast at the very end.

Link to Google Doc


 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:23 AM   #5
dracus
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
cincinnati, ohio
Posts: 296
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Here is a nice one and a decent site to boot.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/checklist-extract/

Obviously not for tomorrow download beersmith. It is the best $20 you can invest in your brewing addiction. You can try it for free and print out brewsheets.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
mikeysab's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
staten island
Posts: 4,505
Liked 547 Times on 416 Posts


brewing your first beer is like having sex for the first time. You've heard great things about it, you've read about it, maybe even watched some videos of other people doing it. You're really excited and can't wait to get started. But once you get started, it doesn't go as smoothly as you hoped it would. But once you do it a few times,you get better at it.

All the reading and videos and checklists are nice, but once you start, you have to have your process down. The only way to do that is to get a few batches under your belt. Learning on those first few batches is fun and you'll make beer, but you shouldn't expect everything to go totally as planned.

on the flip side, being married with two kids , brewing beer is like my sex life.....i do it alone.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
BeerJorge
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Arizona
Posts: 327
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab View Post
brewing your first beer is like having sex for the first time. You've heard great things about it, you've read about it, maybe even watched some videos of other people doing it. You're really excited and can't wait to get started. But once you get started, it doesn't go as smoothly as you hoped it would. But once you do it a few times,you get better at it.

All the reading and videos and checklists are nice, but once you start, you have to have your process down. The only way to do that is to get a few batches under your belt. Learning on those first few batches is fun and you'll make beer, but you shouldn't expect everything to go totally as planned.

on the flip side, being married with two kids , brewing beer is like my sex life.....i do it alone.
LOL... you are right, the first time you are focused on following instructions and not so much on actually brewing, but it's easy after that...

Anyways, here's another article that might help you: home brewing instructions

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
TheWeeb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Denver, Colorado
Posts: 1,125
Liked 120 Times on 77 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerJorge View Post
LOL... you are right, the first time you are focused on following instructions and not so much on actually brewing, but it's easy after that...

Anyways, here's another article that might help you: home brewing instructions
except you have to wait weeks for the pop the top "orgasm."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
chris19delta
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
TX
Posts: 42
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts


preps taking abit longer today because i decided to mark the pot at the 2.5 and 5 gal lines, so i filled it to 3.5 hit the waterline with a punch to mark it then did the same at 5gl which should make it easier to get the batch back to 5 gal after the boil.

almost done sanitizing just gotta fill a spray bottle with some sanitizer for quick touch up on the tools before i use em.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
BeerJorge
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Arizona
Posts: 327
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceportBP View Post
except you have to wait weeks for the pop the top "orgasm."
Yeah right.... some will take months!! Good thing I'm not married...

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First AG batch tomorrow. basisforaday All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 03-20-2010 09:38 PM
First ever brew tomorrow...am I ready? abledsoe Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 01-02-2010 03:00 AM
First 10 gallon batch tomorrow. chefchris All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 1 11-23-2008 11:05 PM
first batch sparge tomorrow please help cha ngo General Techniques 9 01-26-2007 05:33 AM
First batch ready for bottling, second batch ready for brewing Cornfed Extract Brewing 5 09-28-2006 12:59 PM


Forum Jump