Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How do you oxygenate your wort?
View Poll Results: How do you oxygenate your wort?
I stirr the wort in the fermenter 16 9.30%
I let the wort splash into the fermenter 54 31.40%
I shake the doggy doo out of my carboy 42 24.42%
I use an oxygen areation system 46 26.74%
I don't oxygenate the wort before pitching the yeast 7 4.07%
Ralph Nader blows into my fermenter 7 4.07%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2006, 07:26 PM   #51
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1346 Times on 881 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I was actually suggesting that a regular blue/green diffusor stone would want to float. I realize the stainless is heavy enough to attach directly to vinyl tubing.

I do agree that the filtered air system is the next best thing to pure O2. I believe all you do is sacrifice time. The upfront costs are about the same with both methods but O2 requires refill costs. So time vs. money like everything else.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:56 PM   #52
Focus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsin
I use a large 02 tank from the same gas place I get C02 from. With a .5 micron stone and a precision regulator, 5 minutes at 15 psi. Not only has this made a great difference in my fermentations, but after 50+ batches the tank is still mostly full.
I went to the local medical oxygen place and they snootily told me O2 was a drug that I could only get with a prescription. I could have sworn O2 was a gas available (at 21%) in the air we breathe every day and not a "drug" which the FDA defines as a substance that alters the body chemistry to achieve a desired effect - or some such terminology. So, until my friend graduates from med school and can write me a prescription for this mysterios "oxygen" substance, I have to look elsewhere...

I asked about purchasing O2 from my local National Welders branch that sold me my CO2 and all the fittings for my multi-tap kegerator. They said that their O2 was "not medical quality O2" which meant that " there could be traces of oil in the tanks although there shouldn't be any."

Does anyone besides Jsin use welding-grade O2 and have you ever had any adverse effects? I surely wouldn't want to risk a batch of beer, or my health, if there's a good chance there's going to be some oil in the O2, but if the chances are small (1:100-ish or less), then I'd go for it. Any words of wisdom?

Focus

Old 12-27-2006, 09:32 PM   #53
lostnfoam

Recipes 

Like I said before right now I'm doing small 5 gal batches and I’m only boiling 2.5 gals. now I’m not to good with science, but the other 2.5 gals still have o2 in it the other 2.5 that I boil yes the o2 gets depleted. When I combine the two and stir them up I’m mixing back in some 02 and maybe getting some more. I like the method I’m using because I see it as less of a chance of contamination and hopefully less of chance of the carboy getting away from me while shaking it. Like I said I’m not all that great with science I just know what works for me. And using this method with a starter fermentation started in 6 hours. I’m still new to brewing and always open to new methods.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:27 AM   #54
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1346 Times on 881 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yeah, with a half boil I don't see it as mandatory.

Regarding O2 being a drug, it is, especially when you're talking to a medical supply joint. You can actually die from breathing too much of it (100% O2 that is). The only reason I know this is that I'm certified to dive on Nitrox or enhanced air up to 40% O2 and knowing the point when you'd black out on it is essential.

I doubt there's enough contamination in welding grade O2 to worry about. They just have to tell you it's not medical grade for liability purposes in case someone wanted a bargain on grandma's O2 supply. Bad to breathe the entire tank down, but to add O2 to your wort, nah.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:15 PM   #55
Jsin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

They have to tell you it is not medical grade gas at the welding shop. But there has never been oil in my oxygen bottle. You would know because oil will not go threw a .5 micron diffusion stone. That and when welding if there is oil in your oxygen you get flair ups. So if you see welders buying gas from that gas shop it is ok to use.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:02 AM   #56
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsin
They have to tell you it is not medical grade gas at the welding shop. But there has never been oil in my oxygen bottle. You would know because oil will not go threw a .5 micron diffusion stone. That and when welding if there is oil in your oxygen you get flair ups. So if you see welders buying gas from that gas shop it is ok to use.
The LHBS recommends getting the O2 from the hardware store so I don't think it is an issue.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:23 AM   #57
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
About 2-3 minutes. Nice marketing tactic Williams . I don't crank it wide open either. Ok, maybe it's 5-6 batches.
I use a similar system, but only oxygenate for about 30-40 seconds. That has always been sufficient for me. Have you confirmed that 2-3 minutes is necessary?

Old 01-18-2007, 11:03 PM   #58
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Mailman just delivered my new oxygen regulator and stone from Williams Brewing. Now I need to brew!

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 01-18-2007, 11:05 PM   #59
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablrbrau
Mailman just delivered my new oxygen regulator and stone from Williams Brewing. Now I need to brew!
Got mine this morning, too!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 01-18-2007, 11:12 PM   #60
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy
I use a similar system, but only oxygenate for about 30-40 seconds. That has always been sufficient for me. Have you confirmed that 2-3 minutes is necessary?
No confirm, but not sure how I would. Probably just being on the safe side...