National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Cloudy beer

Old 06-14-2010, 07:49 AM   #11
erock2112
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001SE View Post
I don't boil or anything, just brewhouse instructions. Primary for about 5 days, and sencondary for 2 weeks... What is irish moss ?
You don't boil?

Most people will advise you to do at least a 3-week primary and skip the secondary. If you're worried about clarity, you can do a secondary with gelatin and cold crash, or use whirlfloc (which is an irish moss derivative) fifteen minutes from the end of the boil.

Edit: My bad, just looked it up, no boil required... Whirlfloc isn't an option since you don't boil. Typically a strong boil will take care of clarity issues, and whirlfloc or gelatin will help. I'd definitely recommend a long primary with an optional secondary and cold crash.

Reason: educating myself...

Old 06-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #12
Clann
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 51

i boil even the no boil kits, Muntons,Coopers, for at least 20 min so i can add hops and such. no undesireable effects no clarity issues plus i like hops.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
Clann
Recipes 

I boil all my no boil kits for at least 20 min and up to an hour. that way i can add more hopps and irish moss. no issues with clarity. I like hopps

Old 06-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #14
Clann
Recipes 

sorry about the double post. thought I lost the first one

Old 06-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #15
Mooseknuckle2000
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGravity View Post
"I've only done a couple kits with mediocre results. If I were you, I'd at least move up to extract brewing"

Not trying to change the subject, but "Brewhouse" all grain kits include only all grain, except for the corona and lager. I've brewed many batches with them, IMHO extract brewing is a huge step backwards. It's hard to ship a product that weighs 30 lbs of wort from BC to all over north america and come close to the $30 CAD it sells locally for, but if you ever get the chance give it a try. For example, I made my best brew ever using their munich dark lager kit with an added 2 cups of liquid malt extract, 1 lb of medium crystal malt, half a lb of coffee, and 2 oz of zeus hops. The thing I like about it I can spend just one hour and maybe $10 more using a gallon boil, and seriously tweak the recipe or reliven the specialty grains and hops that are part of the basic recipe.

I always had crystal clear beer when extract brewing, even when the extract wasn't boiled, but with the BH I've come to accepting it as cloudy. I'd love to hear whether irish moss or gelatin is better for a kit like this also...

It's hard to wait 2 months for each brew...there must be a better way.
I guess I didn't realize this was an all grain kit. I was thinking this was a crappy pre-hopped extract kit. My bad. I still would recommend a boil though if clarity is an issue.
On Deck: IPA
In the Hole: Mojito Cider