Bretting a botched batch - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Bretting a botched batch

Old 06-08-2010, 03:29 AM   #1
mkorpal
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Fort Collins, Colorado (Fort Fun/Foco)

That was a mouthfull. So, I attempted a Arrogant Bastard clone, but due to some rust (a few months off), some equipment problems (thermometer) and some stupid stuff by me, I screwed it up bad. I ended up mashing at too high of a temp, used way too much water, and was lazy with my yeast.

So, now I have a hoppy brown/amber that has stalled at 1.020. I've kind of given up on the idea of actually getting what I intended to get out of this, so what I'm thinking of is transferring it to a carboy I'm not using an pitching some Brett C. Does anyone think a beer like this, with 80 IBU's, will do well, or am I best off not even bothering and trying to re-start my normal fermentation? I figure with some long term aging, I should be able to get rid of a significant portion of the hop characteristics, so it may not be an issue. What is your take?
Carbing: Raspberry Apple Cider 333
Enjoying: Lazy Ass Orange Pale Ale, Belgian Grand Cru, Belgian Dubble, Cherry Stout, Demonstration IPA

On Deck: Black IPA

Old 06-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Barc

Recipes 

Oct 2008
NC
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Wild Devil is basically Hop Devil fermented, at least partially, with Brett. I think that's a great beer! If all you do is to add Brett (and not Pedio or "lambic blend" or anything), you shouldn't have to age it very long for a nice beer. It will probably develop differently as it ages but I think you'd probably be OK to drink it young.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
dzlater
Recipes 

Apr 2008
New Jersey
Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts

I brewed a saison that I kegged at 1.014 and then decided I didn't like it that much. I transferred it back to a carboy before it had a chance to carbonate and added dregs from two bottles of Orval . After two months it went down to 1.006.
It does have the some brett flavors. What's weird to me is that it still tastes pretty sweet. I'd say give it a go can't hurt.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
rhoadsrage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Chicago
Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts

You could add brett to half the batch and add bourbon to the other half? Both could take care of the sweetness but in different ways.
I like the Brett qualities in hoppy ales. When they are young they are more subtle but after 6-8 months they offer a nice balance to the hops.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
mkorpal
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Fort Collins, Colorado (Fort Fun/Foco)

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to take care of it now.
Carbing: Raspberry Apple Cider 333
Enjoying: Lazy Ass Orange Pale Ale, Belgian Grand Cru, Belgian Dubble, Cherry Stout, Demonstration IPA

On Deck: Black IPA