Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anybody brew cask ales?

Old 06-08-2010, 02:31 AM   #1
71satelite
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Anybody brew cask ales?

Anyway, I was flipping through my favorite home brew rag down here in the NC and came across some reading on cask ales. They sound freaking awesome, anybody on here brewing these up? If so whats the skinney? Thanks, any info would be great!

Old 06-08-2010, 03:23 AM   #2
japhroaig
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh geez, as a British beer afficianado I can tell you that producing and serving a hand pulled, conditioned pint tales serious practice and gear. If you want something close and a lot easier, simply brew a Bass clone and bottle at a low carbonation rate. Not nearly the same, but in the spirit of cask conditioned.

A real cask conditioned ale is fermented for about a week depending on gravity, than transferred to a keg/cask where it finishes feenting and carbonating. You never add sugar or CO2 tocarb a cask ale, it should be done naturally.

Finally, the care of the cask is of utmost importance. Real ale should be served through a beer engine, but a cask when opened will last a week at the most. Best within a few days.

The best part of a cask or Real ale is the creamy, subtlness the beer gets . I love them and as soon as I get an engine, the real ale will be mine :$

Old 06-08-2010, 03:27 AM   #3
japhroaig
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here is an awesome looking antique beer engine/bar.
http://www.newel.com/PreviewImage.aspx?ItemID=9380

Old 06-08-2010, 04:20 AM   #4
dirtbikejunkie
Recipes 

CAMRA’s official definition of Real Ale is, “beer brewed from traditional ingredients, matured by secondary fermentation in the container from which it is dispensed, and served without the use of extraneous carbon dioxide.”

in seattle area you can find weekly "cask nights" at several of the bars and breweries. we also have a yearly cask festival.

I am glad to see more people are appreciating cask beer.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 37

If you wanna try 500 or so British cask ales, go here:

http://gbbf.camra.org.uk/home

Old 06-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
71satelite
Recipes 

Thanks for the info guys!

Old 06-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
japhroaig
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I wonder if anyone here either knows where to purchase reasonably priced beer engines, or perhaps even how to construct one. That seems to me to be the biggest hurdle in authentic cask ales for the homebrewer--we are already doing most of the other steps, just not the last one.

Team Nottingham Yeast!

Old 06-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
mullenite
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There is a DIY on here using an RV water pump. I believe he used a breather but a QD on the gas post would be more accurate as it would allow the beer to oxidize.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #9
billc68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What about bottling the ale at just the right gravity? That should be pretty close.
It would be in small quantities so no need to to pump. Basically, if you knew when to "cask" it, just bottle instead without adding any priming sugar.
Next time you brew, try bottling a few in PET bottles around the same time you would rack to a secondary, you'll know if it is carbonating by the hardness of the bottle.

You can top up your carboy with some C02 to compensate for the headspace.

This is just a guess, and I personally would store them where a few bombs wouldn't be an issue.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #10
japhroaig
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes, a bottled conditioned ale, carbonated without additional sugar is pretty darn close, and definitely in the spirit of cask ales. But it's like the Guinness conundrum--while bottle and tap are both good, it's just different out of the tap. Better? That's an argument I don't ever want to instigate, so just different

Team Nottingham Yeast!