Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > ginger beer advice.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
will4009
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default ginger beer advice.

hello

i have decided to have a go at making an alcoholic ginger beer, but i would like a bit of help before i start. i have used the search function and found numerous recipes all with different ways of going about it. i want to try and do it as simply and as inexpensively as possible, but still get a nice brew at the end. also i have been given a few pounds of fresh ginger which i would like to use.

i would be greatful of and help or advice.

thanks

Old 06-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
PintOfBitter
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

are you thinking of going the traditional route using 'ginger beer plant' or just fermenting a ginger and malt based drink?

Old 06-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
will4009
Recipes 

i was just thinking of fermenting a ginger based drink. i think that might be easier?

Old 06-08-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There's a recipe somewhere on the site that uses 40 oz of ginger.

I made a batch several years ago that only used 1.4 oz and I was pleased with it.

Last I heard, the other guy was pleased with his also.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:22 AM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

How much do you like ginger? I shoot for the middle of the range: 250 gm in a 19L batch. May up than for the next batch, my new GF loves the stuff.

You can also "dry hop" with ginger, if the initial flavor isn't how you want it.

Too much? Chamomile tea can mellow ginger.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-08-2010, 12:26 AM   #6
PintOfBitter
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What kind of finished product are you looking for? have you brewed beer before? if you have a recipe you're interested in, you could post that and we could help figure out what kind of flavor you'll get.

A good, simple start would be to add some ginger (i'd probably go for at least a pound grated or finely chopped) to a standard pale extract beer base shooting for around 3-5% alcohol. This will be dry and have a definite ginger flavor. To add some sweetness, use crystal 20 or 40 as a steeping grain, or add lactose before bottling.

To give some perspective, I brew a ginger ale (soda) that uses 50 ounces of ginger for 5 gallons. This is very gingery, similar to Reed's Extra Ginger Brew if you've had that.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:44 AM   #7
will4009
Recipes 

thanks for the replys. my brewing experience is limited, i have done a couple of the cooper's kits. i do like my ginger beer to have a bit of a 'bite' and i dont want to try anything too tricky, as im still learing about homebrew and i only have quite a basic setup. i have just come across this recipe.

5 gallons water
1-1 1/2 lbs. ginger root, coarsley chopped
17 cups sugar
4 lemons, sliced
3/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1 packet champagne yeast

i think this might be a little to basic, even for me! but i was thinking it might be possible to mess with it a little, brewing sugar, cinimon, nutmeg (i think my uncle used to use it when he was around).

thanks

Old 06-08-2010, 02:11 AM   #8
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts

That looks like an alcoholc ginger ale, not a ginger beer. Looks good any way...

Old 06-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #9
pr0cess
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made a pale ale with some ingredients that were originally intended for use in ginger-pear jelly. I boiled up my extracts and hops as usual, and added about 4 inches of ginger grated fresh into the pot at the start of boil, hoping it would mild it down a little. At flameout I added about 4 pounds of chopped pears. The entire fermentation process smelled wonderful, exactly like I wanted the beer to taste. Then after a while in secondary and bottling it there is almost no pear flavor but the ginger comes right out and slaps you around. I would recommend erring on the side of too little ginger in the first boil/ferment and taste testing it as it goes into secondary and adding more there if you want it, a little goes a long way I think.

-dylan

Old 06-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #10
Heckle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PintOfBitter View Post
To give some perspective, I brew a ginger ale (soda) that uses 50 ounces of ginger for 5 gallons. This is very gingery, similar to Reed's Extra Ginger Brew if you've had that.
Could you post that please?