Belgian stong ale (Keg or bottle)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cphair16

Reaction score
I'm about to brew a batch Belgian Strong Ale. But I don’t know what is the better option bottling or kegging it? If you have experience dealing with Belgian strong Ale let me know what you prefer.

cphair16 said:
I'm about to brew a batch Belgian Strong Ale. But I don’t know what is the better option bottling or kegging it? If you have experience dealing with Belgian strong Ale let me know what you prefer.
I just finished my last bottle of Belgian Strong on its 4th birthday. These beers can be cellared for 10 years. Its easier to stash bottles than a keg besides, do you have enough kegs to allocate for the life of an aged ale? Bottle in 12's and maybe a few bombers just for parties.

Good luck,
Wild

Bottles. For all the reasons stated.

You can age it and if it's strong, 12 oz may be all you need at one time.

I bottle all my strong stuff. And every 9-10% brew I've ever made got aged many months before cracking open a bottle. I don't want a keg tied up that long.

I just bottled my belgian strong. Not planning on touching it for at least a month, probably longer. I vote bottles!

cphair16 said:
Thanks for in the help. I will bottle in 22oz bottles. How long did it stay in the secondary?
I fermented in the primary fermenter for 7 days or until fermentation slowed, then siphoned into the secondary fermenter for approximately 6 weeks. Primed the beer in the second stage with another dose of the same strain of fresh yeast 3 days before bottling. Bottled when fermentation is complete, target gravity is reached and beer has cleared.

Good luck,
Wild

Back