Added the priming sugar too early? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Added the priming sugar too early?

Old 06-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
eseymour
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Washington

Ok so i got started on my first batch and I have to admit I was a little confused, however it is already a lot of fun. When I was heating up my water and adding the Pre-Hopped Malt extract and second can of un-hopped extract as recommended by the supplier, I also added what appears to be the priming sugar. I was under the impression that you need to add sugar so it could turn to alcohol, but I never stopped to think that it might already by in the pre-made recipes I purchased.

My question is...is this batch ruined? If it isn't when should I bottle?

I started this batch on 6/3.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
cell
Recipes 

Feb 2008
Montreal, Canada
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

No, don't worry. The extra sugar, if that's the case of course, will add a tiny extra amount of alcohol.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Pea Green, Colorado
Liked 67 Times on 59 Posts

Just purchase more priming sugar (Actually you can use any type sugar) for priming the bottles which could be in 2 or 3 weeks +, depending on the brew of course.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
WildGingerBrewing
Old and OK is good enuff
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2010
McKinney, TX
Liked 2350 Times on 2257 Posts

RDWHAHB...it will be fine. You may need to buy some more priming sugar, but I'm sure it will turn out fine.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
eseymour
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Washington

Ok great! I am doing a simple ale, I believe the fermentation will be done by next Saturday.

So you are saying that I can use any sugar? Like some household granulated sugar will do?

I was thinking about taking the appropriate amount of sugar, dissolving it in about 2 cups of water. Then I will add that mixture to my bottling bucket with the beer before bottling.

Sound good?

Old 06-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #6
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Pea Green, Colorado
Liked 67 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eseymour View Post
Ok great! I am doing a simple ale, I believe the fermentation will be done by next Saturday.

So you are saying that I can use any sugar? Like some household granulated sugar will do?

I was thinking about taking the appropriate amount of sugar, dissolving it in about 2 cups of water. Then I will add that mixture to my bottling bucket with the beer before bottling.

Sound good?
Yup . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Old 06-06-2010, 11:28 PM   #7
WildGingerBrewing
Old and OK is good enuff

Recipes 

Mar 2010
McKinney, TX
Liked 2350 Times on 2257 Posts

I would suggest using a carbonation calculator however. Table sugar and corn sugar are not a lb for lb conversion. Try this http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:05 AM   #8
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Omaha, NE
Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Welcome to HBT!

You didn't even come close to ruining your batch of beer. You have to work much harder than that. Stick around of a few dozen batches and maybe you'll work your way up to ruining a batch but I doubt it.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:30 AM   #9
eseymour
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Washington

Thank you everyone!