Alternative Grain Beer Gluten Free Double IPA - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Alternative Grain Beer Gluten Free Double IPA

Old 09-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #21
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Denver.
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKershner View Post
If you have an AG setup, just do a full boil. Full Boil is always > Partial boil. Probably the #1 way to improve a beer.
Sounds interesting. I have never done a full boil with extract so please correct me if I am wrong. I am assuming that I just calculate what I am going to boil off in a 90min boil in my 42qt kettle (1.5gal) so I bring 6.5g to a boil, remove from flame, add my fermentables, bring it back to a boil and hop accordingly?

Old 09-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #22
DKershner

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Bend, OR
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
Sounds interesting. I have never done a full boil with extract so please correct me if I am wrong. I am assuming that I just calculate what I am going to boil off in a 90min boil in my 42qt kettle (1.5gal) so I bring 6.5g to a boil, remove from flame, add my fermentables, bring it back to a boil and hop accordingly?
It is slightly less since the extract adds some significant volume. There is probably a way to calculate, but I choose just to maintain my ignorance and boil for a few minutes before I start the hopping. I do not do late extract additions since I like to imitate my AG process wherever possible and I dont worry about color (which is the other plus of adding extract late, you get a lighter colored beer).

Otherwise, you are correct.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #23
zman

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Denver.

Quote:
It is slightly less since the extract adds some significant volume. There is probably a way to calculate, but I choose just to maintain my ignorance and boil for a few minutes before I start the hopping. I do not do late extract additions since I like to imitate my AG process wherever possible and I dont worry about color (which is the other plus of adding extract late, you get a lighter colored beer).

Otherwise, you are correct.
What is your standard water volume for a 5g full boil extract batch? I am going to use my banjo burner and polarware kettle to boil in

Old 09-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #24
DKershner

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Bend, OR

Quote:
What is your standard water volume for a 5g full boil extract batch? I am going to use my banjo burner and polarware kettle to boil in
I use 6gal. It is too much for me as I boil off about a gallon. 5.75gal is probably about right with around 8lbs of syrups for me.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #25
Lcasanova

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Park Ridge, IL
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I've been trying to figure that out too, I'll be doing a full boil this weekend (my first one) and the pumpkin and syrups should add quite some volume.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:16 PM   #26
DKershner

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Bend, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcasanova View Post
I've been trying to figure that out too, I'll be doing a full boil this weekend (my first one) and the pumpkin and syrups should add quite some volume.
I would add the pumpkin into the fermenter, should make things easier and make the pumpkin flavor stronger.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #27
zman

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Denver.

Quote:
I use 6gal. It is too much for me as I boil off about a gallon. 5.75gal is probably about right with around 8lbs of syrups for me.
Cool. Thanks all for the info. I am excited to do my first GF Brew

Old 09-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #28
zman

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Denver.

I was checking out the Breiss Hopy to be Gluten Free APA and it says to "mix syrup and water and bring to a boil" I am assuming that they mean bring the water to a boil first remove from heat add syrup then return to a boil. I know it is a dumb question but I have never used Sorghum or Brown Rice Syrup and want to make sure I treat it like LME.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #29
DKershner

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Bend, OR

Quote:
I was checking out the Breiss Hopy to be Gluten Free APA and it says to "mix syrup and water and bring to a boil" I am assuming that they mean bring the water to a boil first remove from heat add syrup then return to a boil. I know it is a dumb question but I have never used Sorghum or Brown Rice Syrup and want to make sure I treat it like LME.
You can really mix it whenever you want. It absorbs a little easier into hotter water. Same with LME.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:52 PM   #30
Lcasanova

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Park Ridge, IL
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
You can really mix it whenever you want. It absorbs a little easier into hotter water. Same with LME.
I agree, I turn off the heat, stir it in then turn the burner back on and bring it to a boil.