National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Bottling
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
Emerald
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 237
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
I know what Kombucha is, I've read up on it and thought about making some but I'm really just a beer guy FWIW. I'm just offering up suggestions and trying to be as helpful as possible. That's what these forums are all about after all!

Cheers!
See, I did make you feel bad I so did not want to do that... I am sorry... I'll bet that coopers tabs would work great. It would be cool if they came in flavors, just think, raspberry for your dark beer... yummy!

Emerald is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #12
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,285
Liked 46 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Default

Nope, didn't make me feel bad. I just wanted you to understand that I'm not trying to discount how you carb, I just want to give the OP another option.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)
wyzazz is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
FromZwolle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: beecher, il
Posts: 8,546
Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

kombucha carbonates way faster than beer. its usually bottle bombs after 24 hrs. since it's a mix of yeasts and bacteria, i don't think any beer carb chart will work. each bug adding a different level/rate of co2 production from different amounts of sugar. it's not that hard to figure out through trial and error. best thing about kombucha=cost. 'yeast' is a one time purchace, and every batch costs very little, so dumping an experiment isn't much of a waste.

if you do bottle and store at room temperature, be aware that a new scoby may form in the bottle and may be clear. this comes as a pretty disgusting surprise if you drink one striaght from a bottle.
FromZwolle is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #14
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,285
Liked 46 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromZwolle View Post
kombucha carbonates way faster than beer. its usually bottle bombs after 24 hrs. since it's a mix of yeasts and bacteria, i don't think any beer carb chart will work. each bug adding a different level/rate of co2 production from different amounts of sugar. it's not that hard to figure out through trial and error. best thing about kombucha=cost. 'yeast' is a one time purchace, and every batch costs very little, so dumping an experiment isn't much of a waste.

if you do bottle and store at room temperature, be aware that a new scoby may form in the bottle and may be clear. this comes as a pretty disgusting surprise if you drink one striaght from a bottle.
That being the case I'd imagine that just bottling it without any additional sugar for the yeast to consume (since we are talking about "bugs" here) and letting it sit for a week or so might just work. Then chill that stuff down so you don't get bottle bombs!

I guess it's really just about experimentation to see what works for you, I'd be interested to see what the OP comes up with in the end.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)
wyzazz is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #15
FromZwolle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: beecher, il
Posts: 8,546
Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
That being the case I'd imagine that just bottling it without any additional sugar for the yeast to consume (since we are talking about "bugs" here) and letting it sit for a week or so might just work. Then chill that stuff down so you don't get bottle bombs!

I guess it's really just about experimentation to see what works for you, I'd be interested to see what the OP comes up with in the end.
you can definitely do this, but you have to keep in mind that if the bugs eat through all available sugars you will end up with a very vinegary taste. after day or two at the most it should be carbed up enough to throw it in the fridge. at least in my experience.
FromZwolle is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:08 PM   #16
Emerald
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 237
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default

If it does get to vinegary for you to enjoy by drinking it straight, then let it go flat and then use it like you would vinegar in a vinaigrette- very tasty on french fries and very great in salad dressings.

Emerald is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:36 PM   #17
FromZwolle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: beecher, il
Posts: 8,546
Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

i let it go about half-way, then mix with 50% juice, then drink it still. it works best with cranberry or pomegranite. something that is already a littl tart.
FromZwolle is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:47 PM   #18
Emerald
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 237
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default

You should try it with the ginger- it so works well with ginger for some reason.. I have even done raspberry ginger and it was yummy.
The blueberry/pom juice went well too.

Emerald is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #19
oakspoor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 6
Default

I bottle KT with just a slice of ginger root or a couple berries of choice in each 12 oz bottle. This gives me a light, fine fizz and a subtle end flavor. I put them in the fridge soon after bottling and let the residual culture do its thing at a reduced rate til I drink it up. I've even found some mini moms in my bottles.

I'm not trying to make a substitute for soda or beer, just maximizing my KT enjoyment with a sour tingle on my tongue.
oakspoor is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bottling: Hoses very hard to remove from bottling wand and auto siphon IncredibleMulk Bottling/Kegging 14 01-11-2010 06:28 PM
Hop-odor in Bottling Bucket, safe for quick bottling? CallMeZoot Equipment/Sanitation 3 01-15-2008 12:27 AM
Repost Bottling after cold crash? Bottling from keg? Robar General Techniques 16 11-08-2007 05:49 PM
Bottling after Cold Crash? Bottling from keg Robar General Techniques 0 10-11-2007 12:50 AM
Bottling day: Sediments in carboy and adding bottling sugar g0dolphins Bottling/Kegging 3 12-19-2006 07:04 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS