Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What is this glass piece of equipment?

Old 06-04-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
dsabra11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What is this glass piece of equipment?

Hi. First time posting. New homebrewer here. I have done 3 5-gal batches and so far, so good. Just moved to Gainesville, and this nice guy who I bought a bike from gave me some remnants from when he used to brew mead. Other than the waaaaaay old yeast, I was familiar and had used everything he gave me except for this one piece. Do you know what it is? I've never seen one? Description below:

Glass, approximately 5" tall, probably .75 cm diameter going up from the small spout until it branches out to a wider part for the last inch. There are numbers marked on the side, and they go from 0 to 5 to 10 to 15 to 20, but are spaced unevenly. Very thin opening through the middle. Maybe this is to test thickness/viscosity?

If you send me a message I can send you a picture. Thanks in advance, and happy brewing.

Danny

Old 06-04-2010, 01:13 AM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Hydrometer? Like this...

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 06-04-2010, 01:38 AM   #3
DoubleXL
Recipes 

Sounds like a Vino-o-meter . Used to measure alcohol content. Hope the pic comes out.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:22 AM   #4
dsabra11
Recipes 

yes, that is it! thank you! makes sense since he was a mead/wine-brewer

Old 06-04-2010, 04:40 AM   #5
DoubleXL
Recipes 

Oh and btw a little late i know but still Welcome to Home Brew Talk

Old 06-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #6
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Yeah welcome dsabra11, and Double how does that vino-o-meter work?

Old 06-05-2010, 05:48 AM   #7
DoubleXL
Recipes 

This is a copy and paste for another site but it is how I have used a Vino-O-Meter in the past.
" This device can be used to directly measure the final alcohol in a wine. To use put a small sample of the wine in the funnel end, the wine will run down the capillary tube and start to drip from the far end. Wait until a few drips have come through and then turn the Vin-O-Meter upside down and place on a flat surface. The wine will drop back along the capillary tube and where it stops against the index is a direct reading of the percentage of alcohol by volume (ABV). If you put undiluted wine into the Vin-O-Meter the reading is a direct measurement of the alcohol content. However for a more accurate reading the wine can be diluted 50:50 with water, in which case you need to DOUBLE the reading. The range of the scale for undiluted wine is 0 to 25% ABV but clearly this can be extended by diluting the wine. Solids and particles in the wine can affect the reading. The unit should be thoroughly cleaned after use."

Old 06-06-2010, 01:51 AM   #8
zymurgy101
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How much home brew had you consumed? Are you sure it wasn't this?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/...t&limit=recent