Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hops for a hefe

Old 06-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
austinb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Hops for a hefe

I am helping a friend brew a Hefeweizen on Saturday. I had a question on the hops. I have 2 oz bag of Tettnanger 3.0% AA. I would have to use the whole 2oz to reach my target of about 20 IBU. I was wondering if this would be necessary or if I could use just 1 oz of the Tettnanger so I could save some for another brew and add 1/4oz of the Simcoe 12.7% AA I also have in the freezer to get it to the 20 IBUs? Is there any reason to use the full 2 oz of the tettnanger? Will I get enough of the floral quality of the European hop using just 1 oz of it or will just 1/4oz of the 12.7% AA simcoe overpower it?

I'm assuming the floral quality is in the hops themselves and not from the little yellow Alpha Acids. Please correct me if I am wrong because I would not want to overpower the tettnanger's floral qualities with just a tiny bit of the stronger AA Simcoe.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 86 Posts

If your grain bill is 10 lbs or your DME is 6 lbs then you can get away with using only 3AAs at 60 mins. This is what I generally use for my HWs.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:05 AM   #3
austinb
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
If your grain bill is 10 lbs or your DME is 6 lbs then you can get away with using only 3AAs at 60 mins. This is what I generally use for my HWs.
The grain bill is 8.5lbs (its fairly weak because we would like it to finish quickly). I realize I could just use the 2oz of tettnanger but I was wondering if there is any reason not to use just 1oz of tettnanger and substitute 1/4oz of simcoe so I am using less hops and can save some of the tettnanger for another brew. Its mostly because I am on a tight budget right now and I am trying to push my ingredients as far as I can. My question was if I do that is it possible that just 1/4oz of simcoe hops will overpower the floral quality of the tettnanger hops. Also will 1oz of tettnanger not be enough to give it the distinct characteristics of that hop?

I am wondering if it is the alpha acids in an american hop like cascade that give it a piney or citrusy character and the alpha acids that give a floral quality to a european hop like tettnanger? Or is it just the hop itself that creates those characteristics so that 1/4oz of a strong AA hop won't add any distinct characteristics of the hop other than bittering?