BernerBrau's Big Holiday Spice Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
2 packets 1056
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 @ 70
Additional Fermentation
4 months aging
Tasting Notes
We\'ll find out, won\'t we?
ZOMG WHAT'S BROWNIE DOING OUTSIDE THE TAP ROOM?

Since I've been brewing 2 years and haven't done a holiday spice brew yet, and have to start skimping on cash until I buy a house later this year, I thought I'd go out with a bang. I also refuse to not write my own recipe. This has bitten me a few times but it has also resulted in some fabulous batches. So, here's the scoop:

Boil Size: 8 gal
Batch Size: 5 gal
Boil Time: 120 min

GRAIN BILL

8lb 2-row
1lb Crystal 10L
1lb Crystal 60L
1lb Flaked Wheat
8oz CaraPils
5oz Light Munich
3oz Pale Chocolate

MASH SCHEDULE

Infusion @ 155F
Decoction Mashout @ 170F
Fly or Batch Sparge to collect 8 gallons

HOP SCHEDULE

1oz Northern Brewer @ 60
1oz Willamette @ 20
1oz Willamette @ 7

SPICES

2g Black Pepper, cracked (15 minutes)
1/2oz Ginger Root, sliced (10 minutes)
1 Cinnamon Stick, whole (5 minutes)
1oz Cardamom, cracked (5 minutes)
1oz Coriander, cracked (5 minutes)
2 Vanilla Beans, diced (In Secondary)

FERMENTATION

1 month in primary
4 months aging in secondary
Bottled or Kegged at 5 months

This should be very easy to convert to a PM, just by subbing most of the 2-row for extra light extract. Should be ready just in time for S*cr*t S*nt*, if you catch my drift ;)

Might have to go with this one. Me and a buddy are doing a group day and looking for a winter spiced ale. Hoping someone else will chime in. AS you know I have no concept of recipe formulation.

I've never done a spice beer before. I believe I've done appropriately subtle spice amounts, but I'm hoping for spice beer veterans to chime in soon.

If you do brew it, IP, I may have to force you to send me some, because due to the impending move I may not actually be able to brew it in time for the holidays :(

Have not gotten around to brewing the damn thing.

I moved from an apartment to a house, got a keg setup, and kegged my fermenting beers, but now I'm on a brewing hiatus until my wife's in a good enough mood to ask her if I can spend an additional $300 on a second freezer, temp controller, propane burner, and charcoal filter.

And I haven't paid the first mortgage payment yet either, so.... :drunk:

Have not gotten around to brewing the damn thing.

I moved from an apartment to a house, got a keg setup, and kegged my fermenting beers, but now I'm on a brewing hiatus until my wife's in a good enough mood to ask her if I can spend an additional $300 on a second freezer, temp controller, propane burner, and charcoal filter.

And I haven't paid the first mortgage payment yet either, so.... :drunk:

Hey Bernerbrau, I was the one that had the brew day with IP back in July. We didn't end up brewing your recipe, but brewed this one instead: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/great-lakes-christmas-ale-recipe-127498/#post1429493. It isn't real similar, but it is a holiday ale. I ended up bottling it as I didn't have any open kegs and cracked one open a few weeks ago. It turned out pretty good although after looking at your recipe I wonder how the pepper and vanilla would have spiced it up. Let me know if you end up brewing a batch before the holidays as I wouldn't mind trading a few bottles to see the how the differing spices affected the end product.

Good choice of hops for this brew. I brewed a similar holiday ale a couple of weeks ago, and would personally go with a little less of the crystal/caramel malts and maybe use higher lovibond crystals (crystal 40 and 80/120). Also wanted mine to be a little maltier, so went with Maris Otter and Munich 20L.

Also mashed lower (151-152) since I wanted a slightly drier beer.

Not sure about the cracked black pepper (I subbed nutmeg and allspice in its place), but all in all looks like a tasty recipe!!

Latest posts

Back