Please boycott BP - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Please boycott BP

Old 06-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #11
Gremlyn

Recipes 

Mar 2009
San Diego, CA
Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts

BP's stock is taking enough of a beating without a consumer boycott. Why boycott them anyway? They're working on getting to capped, maybe there was some negligence to cause the spill in the first place, but the US Government is just as at fault, if not more so, for what happened.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
Joker

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Orygun
Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts

As I understand it BP is leasing the well from Transocean, however, I am not sure who is responsible for the maintenance that caused the disaster.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
brrman
Recipes 

Oct 2006
Indianapolis, IN, Indiana
Liked 98 Times on 75 Posts

Guys, BP stations are nearly all privately owned and operated. Boycotting BP service stations hurts the small business owner more than it does BP. BP still gets their fee for their branding either way.

And typically a boycott has some end result in mind. Exactly what do you want to boycott them for? So they go broke faster and cannot pay for the damage that has been done?

Old 06-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #14
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 808 Times on 512 Posts

This thread REALLY rides the borderline of acceptability here at HBT. By definition, advocating a boycott is a form of activism. HBT is not a platform for such activity, particularly when the cause is not brewing related.

However, based on the civility of the discussion, I'm going to keep it open for the moment.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:42 PM   #15
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
DFW
Liked 3316 Times on 3204 Posts

Wow - I've given a total of MAYBE $200 to BP brands in my lifetime (No BP station 'round here, Arco gas sucks, AM/PM is overpriced) ... I guess a boycott from me wouldn't change a thing ;-)

Old 06-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #16
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

Slactivism is what Facebook was built for.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 06-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #17
Beernik
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Lopez Island, WA
Liked 555 Times on 406 Posts

You know what has pissed me off more that anything else?

I've been a regulator. I expect regulated companies to lie, cheat, and pull every dirty and underhanded trick there is. I only ever trusted my licensees when I was there on site. And even then I verified what they were doing by going through their records with a fine-toothed comb.

But MMS? What the hell is going on there? Snorting meth off toasters. Doing inspections while high. Litterally in bed having sex with oil company staff. Letting the oil rig operators write their own inspection reports.

And I've heard the grand plan to "fix" MMS is to break it into three parts. What I haven't heard is anything about firing MMS staff and inspectors let alone criminal investigations of corruption. And the head of MMS wasn't fired. She wasn't even forced to resign.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #18
Synovia
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Chicago, Il
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctufano View Post
Dont know WHY the government isnt involved with a resolution (be it a laissez faire approach to it) or if BP is refusing the aide (which at this point, should be enforced aide)
This is absolutely false. The government most certainly is involved. The coast guard has had hundreds of ships working on this the whole time.

BP has the lead because BP is the one who has some bit of knowledge about oil wells. The government taking the lead would probably just make things worse.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #19
ctufano
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2010
Palm City, FL
Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
This is absolutely false. The government most certainly is involved. The coast guard has had hundreds of ships working on this the whole time.

BP has the lead because BP is the one who has some bit of knowledge about oil wells. The government taking the lead would probably just make things worse.
Yes the CG is helping and such, but what about actually fixing and such? Theres NO WAY the government doesnt have the resources or means to help either with equipment or brain power? THAT is false.
Bottled #2: Dogfish 60 minute clone (1/17/16)
Primary: NB Kama Citra (3/3/16)

Old 06-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #20
bernerbrau

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Nashville, TN
Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

The oil from every drilling company goes to every gas retailer. BP stations do not sell BP oil exclusively, and non-BP stations do sell BP oil.

To boycott BP oil, you're gonna have to buy a bike.