New Replacement for March Pump - Page 6 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New Replacement for March Pump

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #51
Mike3701
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Glen Rock NJ, New Jersey
Posts: 237
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Finally hooked up the chugger pump, this Is my first pump so I don't have much to compare it to. First try I pumped straight up 4.5 feet and it averaged about 20sec a gallon. I then tried pumping 3feet straight up and it was about 19 seconds a gallon. Not a noticeable difference. It's 1/2 vinyl reinforced hi temp hose, can't imagine it would be any different then a silcone hose.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #52
Junkaboy
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Brazil
Posts: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghart999 View Post
This is what you want.

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/L...57399/Cat/1006

Same price, 50% more flow, can be run dry and is so quite you don't even know its turned on. Compared to this one, the March 809 is a POS.
/this

I spent 2 weeks researching this f***ing pumps, and the little giant seems superior to everything else in its price.

I am actually getting 2 of the 1/6th HP one



 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #53
Sawdustguy
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Manorville, New York
Posts: 2,701
Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkaboy View Post
/this

I spent 2 weeks researching this f***ing pumps, and the little giant seems superior to everything else in its price.

I am actually getting 2 of the 1/6th HP one
I am interested in the 1/6th HP Little Giant Pumps but your link is for 1/12 HP pumps. Did you accidentally put up the wrong link? Do you have the link for the 1/6th HP pumps?
__________________
Guy

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #54
Brewmoor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Brewmoor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Colorado
Posts: 929
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts


I think this might have been discussed in some other threads but, what about using a non-magnetic drive pump. I have run into some nice pumps with suitable materials for beer and high temps. They are not magnetic drive heads though. They are centrifugal. So if you don't mind voiding a warranty you could put a speed control on it to get slower flow. One pump I saw the company made a speed controller so It might not void the warranty.

I am having a hard time finding a pump with 3/4" inlet and 3/4" outlet. (at reasonable prices)
__________________
"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve."

My build thread. Compact Single Tier!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #55
Catt22
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Posts: 4,998
Liked 68 Times on 61 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmoor View Post
I think this might have been discussed in some other threads but, what about using a non-magnetic drive pump. I have run into some nice pumps with suitable materials for beer and high temps. They are not magnetic drive heads though. They are centrifugal. So if you don't mind voiding a warranty you could put a speed control on it to get slower flow. One pump I saw the company made a speed controller so It might not void the warranty.

I am having a hard time finding a pump with 3/4" inlet and 3/4" outlet. (at reasonable prices)
The best way to control the flow with a non-mag drive pump is to plumb up a bypass of some kind. IOW, you divert the excess back to the source. I would not recommend using a non-mag drive centrifugal pump as it would be very difficult to clean or sanitize adequately due to the seals on the impeller shaft. IMO, the 1/12 hp LG pumps are more than adequate for home brewing level use. Most of the time, the pumps are only run at a fraction of their maximum flow rate. I do run mine wide open when doing the recirc chilling and it's fast enough for that purpose. The rest of the time it's throttled back substantially when used for the RIMS circulation.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:19 PM   #56
Brewmoor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Brewmoor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Colorado
Posts: 929
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts


I just saw this one on drillspot. They claim it is sealless. Noryl is a stable material at boiling temps, but all they give for specs is gravity up to 1.5 I can not find any other info about them.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/71943/Dayton_SM-909-NTW-18_Circulator_Pump


Can anyone see anything in the materials list that would be a red flag?
__________________
"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve."

My build thread. Compact Single Tier!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:27 PM   #57
ClaudiusB
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
El Paso, Texas
Posts: 1,349
Liked 98 Times on 75 Posts


Quote:
I just saw this one on drillspot. They claim it is sealless. Noryl is a stable material at boiling temps, but all they give for specs is gravity up to 1.5 I can not find any other info about them.
Brewmoor I use the same pumps made by Teel, the pumps have been running since 1995.
The Noryl version is rated for only 140 F max fluid temp, the stainless 230 F.
My Noryl version as tested by me has problems above 185 F and 7' lift.
A great pump for low temp applications.
Wetting the pump has never been a problem, completely sealed (not wash down rated).
These pumps are for liquid only, if you need a mash pump Teel makes a nice one.
I got the bronze version only.
My SS version used for hot wort pumping


Noryl version used for water only



Cheers,
ClaudiusB

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:54 PM   #58
Brewmoor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Brewmoor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Colorado
Posts: 929
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts


Thanks ClaudiusB,

Any chance you have a model number for the stainless version. I think I will try and go that route. I have been searching for the right pump for weeks now and keep hitting road blocks.
__________________
"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve."

My build thread. Compact Single Tier!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:56 AM   #59
ClaudiusB
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
El Paso, Texas
Posts: 1,349
Liked 98 Times on 75 Posts


Quote:
Any chance you have a model number for the stainless version. I think I will try and go that route. I have been searching for the right pump for weeks now and keep hitting road blocks.
Brewmoor my Teel pump #ARH12, same as the Grainger pump.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3WY92?Pid=search

Grainger has three SS canned pumps on the web.


Cheers,
ClaudiusB

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #60
Mike3701
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Glen Rock NJ, New Jersey
Posts: 237
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


I know the march 809 is rated at 7.5gpm, but does it actually pump 7.5 gpm?



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
March Pump Bronze Replacement Head doggage Equipment/Sanitation 25 08-28-2011 02:33 PM
Dual purpose March Pump as a Rain Barrel Pump nanotigerbrewer Equipment/Sanitation 6 12-01-2010 08:18 PM
How high can a March Pump--pump? jlosbor Equipment/Sanitation 18 07-02-2010 03:13 PM
March Pump w/brass pump head SSRider For Sale 15 02-02-2010 09:15 PM
Bronze Replacement Head for March 809 Pump, question Gammon N Beer Equipment/Sanitation 3 01-30-2010 02:43 PM


Forum Jump