Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I have a new favorite beer

Old 06-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #21
NoisufnoC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I miss Great Lakes Brewing. I'm going back to Cleveland in July, there will be many a dortmunder golds consumed.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #22
malc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Their Burning River is one of my go to beers. Dortmunder is actually my least favorite, but maybe because it is such a standard in NE Ohio that I just take it for granted. Every bar has that on tap. You could spend weeks in and around Cleveland at various breweries and beer bars and not be disappointed.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #23
NoisufnoC
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc View Post
Their Burning River is one of my go to beers. Dortmunder is actually my least favorite, but maybe because it is such a standard in NE Ohio that I just take it for granted. Every bar has that on tap. You could spend weeks in and around Cleveland at various breweries and beer bars and not be disappointed.
x2. I moved to Vegas from Cleveland 4 years ago, and still haven't found a good brewery out here. I did pick up a groupon for http://www.tenayacreekbrewery.com/ hopefully its good

Old 06-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #24
Pschof
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

+1 on Christmas Ale. Loved it.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #25
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 498 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I grew up drinking BBK Export in Germany. I brewed one as my first lager this year. Bottled it yesterday. Can't wait to start drinking it next month.

I tend to think of Export as being a darker version of a Pilsner with harder water. I've always been surprised that it's not more popular drink in the US.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #26
febbrewro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The only Great Lakes beer I've had is Eliot Ness, and its my absolute favorite lager. I could drink that stuff all day long.

May you be in heaven a full half hour before the devil knows you're dead. May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
- Irish Toast

Old 06-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #27
QuixoticDevice
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 on their labels. I've never had as many problems getting a label off as I did with these Commodore Perry bottles. Soaked for hours and they still didn't come clean...

Old 06-07-2010, 11:40 PM   #28
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticDevice View Post
+1 on their labels. I've never had as many problems getting a label off as I did with these Commodore Perry bottles. Soaked for hours and they still didn't come clean...
Really??!! I have a buddy that drinks Commodore Perry almost exclusively. I take all his bottles, do an overnight soak in OxiClean Free and the labels are usually lying in the bottom of the bucket by morning.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 06-08-2010, 12:40 AM   #29
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoobarb View Post
It's one of the best examples of a Dortmunder available. It is even listed as an example in the BJCP guidelines. I have a pretty close recipe I should post. Will try and do that this weekend.
Please do that. I agree, it's an awesome example of the style. That beer has fantastic character.

I enjoy their Nosferatu when it's out as well. A big, hoppy, malty ale, sorta between a barleywine and an imperial IPA. Think Arrogant Bastard but a more citrusy hop character.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #30
Diver165
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Love the Edmund Fitzgerald from Great Lakes Brewing. I'd like to strangle the evil SOB that picked the label glue. Usually most labels come off with a hot soak in some soapy water...I had to break out the Oxyclean Free. It worked like a champ.

Good beer...evil labels

Oxyclean Free rocks!