Randy Mosher's Water Profiles by style - Page 5 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Randy Mosher's Water Profiles by style

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010, 02:03 AM   #41
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
McLean/Ogden, Virginia/Quebec
Posts: 8,904
Liked 1361 Times on 1037 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by slickfish View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I brewed a stout once with my straight water and it had the most horrible flavor, really undrinkable.
It's hard to imagine the pH going so low as to lend a "horrible" flavor. That term sort of suggests infection. Can you describe it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickfish View Post
This was before I had a pH meter but I imagine the pH was very low. I don't think I can get away with this style without adding some alkalinity.
Now that you do have a meter you can check on mash pH. At least 2 of us here have similar experiences with stout made with modest to low RA and that is pH between 5.4 and 5.5 without the use of any alkalinity. I use 10% roast barley in my Irish stout and found that it would take 3 times that amount to get pH down to 5.2. If your pH is lower than 5.2 you must be using an awful lot of something as acidic as roast barley. But why speculate when you can do the measurement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickfish View Post
On another note, what do you mean by using sauermalz to "set" mash pH. I would think that it would serve to lower mash pH but to me set means that it would somehow buffer or lock it in to a certain range within reason. Is this what happens? Thanks
Guess "fix" was an unfortunate choice of words because it does imply buffering. That's not what I intended. Adding sauermalz is just adding acid in solid form. I should have said "control pH" or "adjust pH" or something of that sort.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #42
slickfish
Recipes 
 
May 2009
wisconsin
Posts: 91
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts


I think you are on the right track with the acidic malt amount. That batch was a long time ago before I had any idea about pH or balance in a recipe(it was 25% roasted barley and 10% c80). I think alot of the horrible flavor was from an excessive amout of dark malt in a relatively low gravity beer. I am going to brew a stout with a more reasonable recipe and not add any water adjustments and see where I'm at with pH. Thanks



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:03 AM   #43
Reelale
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Posts: 17,765
Liked 1374 Times on 1332 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelale View Post
You mention that this amount of sulfate is way too much for noble hops, but what about IPAs using American hops? I was under the impression that sulfates accentuated hop bitterness and flavor.

And thanks for taking the time to explain this so well.
AJ. I was perusing this thread again and noticed I didn't get your opinion on sulfate use with American hops back in September. Any observations? Also noticed your strawman "baseline" adjustments are a sticky. That's great.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #44
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
McLean/Ogden, Virginia/Quebec
Posts: 8,904
Liked 1361 Times on 1037 Posts


I really don't have much to contribute here because I don't think I have ever used an American hop cultivar and don't really like them. I'm always kidding my brewing buddies who do about "grapefruit beer" and "2 x 4 beer". That said I would think the way to approach them would be the same as with any other varieties: start with low sulfate and increment stopping when you think the improvement has stopped.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:12 AM   #45
Reelale
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Posts: 17,765
Liked 1374 Times on 1332 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
I really don't have much to contribute here because I don't think I have ever used an American hop cultivar and don't really like them. I'm always kidding my brewing buddies who do about "grapefruit beer" and "2 x 4 beer". That said I would think the way to approach them would be the same as with any other varieties: start with low sulfate and increment stopping when you think the improvement has stopped.
Thank you. I've recently acquired a taste, maybe a tolerence, of the citrusy American hops.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building water profiles from distilled water, dummy questions JBrady General Beer Discussion 23 01-16-2015 10:44 PM
Water Profiles Weezknight Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 01-15-2010 02:20 PM
Water Profiles by Style eschatz Brew Science 11 09-09-2009 11:35 PM
Water Profiles Dr_Deathweed All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 03-12-2008 02:58 AM
Water Profiles gray31 General Techniques 3 09-23-2007 04:34 AM


Forum Jump