Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Anyone using Low Pressure Small 6" Banjo burners

Old 06-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
Commonwealth
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Anyone using Low Pressure Small 6" Banjo burners

Amigos,

I like many am in the planning phase of my brutus single tier and wondering about the 6" low pressure Banjo Burners. Anyone out there have any experience with them? I don't see much listed in the forums.

They are rated to about 60K btu, so that means they likely burn more at 30K. They can be had for a mere $10 each from good ole agrisupply.

http://www.agrisupply.com/burner-cas...282/ss/burner/

So if anyone has any input here, I am thinking about staying with Low pressure, and using these cheaper burners. Gentlemen I am all ears, let me know your thoughts, experiences etc.

Would there be that big a btu difference between this burner and a 10" Banjo run at low pressure?

Thanks

Old 06-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
ndoe22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That looks like the burner on my byau classic sq14

Old 06-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
Commonwealth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is not an SQ14, those have a 10" diameter, what I am inquiring about is the 6". But you are correct in that looks wise they appear to be identical. Yours is the high pressure 10" and I am curious about its little brother rated at about half the BTU's

Any help would be great, thanks......

Old 06-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yea i use 2 of them, i have no problems getting to a boil with keggles

Old 06-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
Commonwealth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey SMAKUDWN,

what quantities are your boiling? do you mean you have 15 gal converted kegs and you are boiling 10-12 gallon batches?

how long does it take to get stuff up to boil?

Thanks tons for your help here brother

Old 06-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

yea i got 15 gal kegs.

cant say that i have timed it but didn't take long. Ill try and time it next time. Haven't done a 10 gal batch yet.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonwealth View Post
It is not an SQ14, those have a 10" diameter, what I am inquiring about is the 6". But you are correct in that looks wise they appear to be identical. Yours is the high pressure 10" and I am curious about its little brother rated at about half the BTU's

Any help would be great, thanks......
This isn't correct. The SQ-14 uses the same ring burner, but it's equipped with a variable (0-10 psi) regulator and the corresponding orifice. it is a six inch diameter burner like the one you are considering.and otherwise the cast burner itself is identical. I have one low pressure ring burner (Camp Chef)
and I also have the SQ-14. I use the Camp Chef for my direct fired mash tun and the higher pressure SQ-14 for my boil kettle. The low pressure burner is ideal for the mash tun as the flame is very controllable, especially at low settings. The SQ-14, being variable pressure could handle both tasks equally well, but I just so happened to purchase the Camp Chef first. Agri-supply sells the variable pressure regulators that will fit the burner you are looking at. IOW, it can be used as a high or low pressure burner with the proper orifice and regulator.

Here's a link to the regulator: http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=64640

The 10" burner is the banjo style. Similar, but produces much more heat and uses gobs more gas. Overkill IMO and not a good choice for a mash tun, but would work OK for a boil kettle or HLT.
renevdb Likes This 
Old 06-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
Henrythe9th
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I use 1 under my MLT, no problems bringing 13gal to boil 13.2 gal Keggle..
for a boil pot, the small size might scorch threw a thin keg wall. haven't done a wort boil with it, only water.. never needs more than 7psi

Old 06-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #9
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
I like many am in the planning phase of my brutus single tier and wondering about the 6" low pressure Banjo Burners. Anyone out there have any experience with them? I don't see much listed in the forums.
I use the same 6" low pressure burner to heat my water and I am pleased with it. $16.00 including shipping and a nicer paint job

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Old 06-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
oceanselv
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When I was looking for a new burner I went to my local Agri Supply Store and did some comparisons. When you buy a fryer with a 5 PSI regulator and then change the regulator to a 10PSI and also swap out the burner, you are better off buying this one instead. http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=64482 I used it for the second time on Monday and brought 4 gallons of water to 180 from ambient temp in less than 10 minutes. To get 6.5 gallons to reach a full rolling boil after mashing was less than 10 minutes.