Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > To secondary or not to secondary...that is the question

Old 06-02-2010, 03:04 AM   #1
BriarwoodBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default To secondary or not to secondary...that is the question

I've read a lot of posts and some use a secondary and many do not. What are advantages of using a secondary and is it truly worth taking this extra step?

Old 06-02-2010, 03:06 AM   #2
jdp
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I don't think it is, but I don't make fruit beers or anything like that. For me, the only advantage to using a secondary is to free up a fermenter. There is tons of crap on the site so you could do a search, but I am sure people will chime in.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:10 AM   #3
Wellshooter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think it's worth it because I do less than 15 SRM beers and lagers mostly and it helps with clarifying. But the main reason is that it frees up my primary for another batch. Additional benefits that I see are less trub and yeast in my final product. To each his own though.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:13 AM   #4
jescholler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Award winning beer can and has been done both ways, so I feel it's a matter of preference for the most part. For me, skipping the secondary is 1 less step for to do, and that's worth it.

Primary: Not until fall :(
Bottle: English Barleywine
On Deck: Session APA, Vanilla Oatmeal Stout

Old 06-02-2010, 03:14 AM   #5
BriarwoodBrewer
Recipes 

You can brew a batch from start to finish in a plastic ferm when in a pinch....can't you? What will be the outcome of your brew?

Old 06-02-2010, 03:19 AM   #6
jdp
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I don't do it "in a pinch", "typically" is probably the better term.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:33 AM   #7
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you plan to age your beer for longer then a month or two, then you might want to secondary. I go from primary to keg, and think of the keg conditioning as 'secondary'. Just my preference though..

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 06-02-2010, 03:35 AM   #8
KUbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

When I started I was excited about the secondary just because that meant that I could mess my beer some more. After a while though I stopped doing them all together. Even when I need to add fruit or age a big beer for a while, I just do it in the keg. If I need something crystal clear then I just add gelatin in the primary. So for me there isn't much of a need for a secondary. If you are bottling all your beer, then I think there are definitely some types of beers that need a secondary.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:22 AM   #9
alexdagrate
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think this recent thread says it all:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/sec...ml#post2088490

Secondary fermentation vessels were recommended due to the lack of good yeast and knowledge of how yeast works.

I've stopped using secondary vessels altogether and noticed a marked improvement in my beers. I dry hop in the primary with great results. I've had barleywines sit on the primary for 8 weeks with no autolysis.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
Olddog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Now I'm starting to regret putting my latest beer into a secondary. I'm sure it'll be fine but I think it would have been better off if I just left it in the primary some more.