Dealing with Telemarketers - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Dealing with Telemarketers

Old 12-20-2006, 03:09 AM   #1
Orpheus

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Maryland 'burbs of Washington, D.C.
Liked 24 Times on 14 Posts

If this is indeed real, I've got to try this one day:

http://www.funnynewswire.com/wordpress/?p=51

Old 12-20-2006, 03:52 AM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 804 Times on 510 Posts

I'm not allowed to answer the phone anymore when it says "Unknown Caller." Here's why:

Regardless of what the telemarketer says, I repeat one word or phrase incessantly, like, "No," or, "Thank you," or, "My dog's nuts are HUGE!"

OR

"Sure, I'm VERY interested. If you'll just give me your name, address, and home phone number, I'd be happy to call you back during dinner at YOUR house to discuss this matter further."

OR

"Actually, I've got a deal for you! I've got four used snow tires in my garage just begging for an owner. I'm asking four easy payments of $25 plus shipping, or you can pick them up at your discretion. You already have my name and number."

OR

"I'm with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I'm willing to give you the offer of your lifetime: SALVATION! Have you read the Book of Mormon? Do you know there's a newer testament to the Bible? Well, if you'll just give me a few moments of your time..."

Apologies to the Mormons...it's just too easy to pick on you guys sometimes...

Old 12-20-2006, 04:07 AM   #3
rdwj

Recipes 

Jun 2006
Plainfield, IL
Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts

That's a pretty good one. Sometimes I just say random things that don't make any sense. One of the funnier things you can do it repeat everything they say in the form of a question.

Usually, I just say take me off you list and hang up. I've noticed that I don't get too many calls now that my number is unlisted

Old 12-20-2006, 04:13 AM   #4
dibby33

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Hobart, Tasmania
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

I let my 2 year old daughter speak to them.
...maybe that is why she has an indian accent. I was wondering how she got that. My Scottish accent throws them a beauty - I ham it up and they don't have a clue and just repeat the same sentence over and over again. F 'em.

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 12-20-2006, 04:14 AM   #5
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land
Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts

I tell them to e-mail or phone-mail me a picture of their naughty parts before I'll proceed. The way I figure it, if they send the picture they deserve to make their pitch.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:05 AM   #6
Ize
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2006
Central Illinois
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

I am a fan of the ones that call for my wife with her maiden name. We've been married almost 4 years but we still get em'. I never tell them wrong number, I just sit on the line and keep answering "nope, she's not here, no-one here by that name, etc". They don't think to just ask for her by her first name, they just keep going for first and last, and as soon as I hear that, (or however they've butchered the pronunciation of her maiden name) it's just "nope, no-one here by that name." They eventually give up.

Courtesy of Caller ID, the ones that call repeatedly I usually let her have. She tears them a new orifice for calling 6 times in one day, I laff hysterically and then tell the 2 year old not to use language like mommy.

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com

Old 12-20-2006, 02:22 PM   #7
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2006
Lincoln University, PA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage

"My dog's nuts are HUGE!"
Laughed out loud on that one!! I used to let my son (2 at the time) speak to them. That was before the national "DO Not Call Registry". Thank "Brew Assassins moldy wort" for that piece of legislation.

Zip ties are the duct tape of the 21st century

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay

Old 12-20-2006, 02:23 PM   #8
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land
Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts

Actually, SWMBO and I don't have a landline. We use only out cell phones and telemarketers aren't allowed to call cell phones, so we never get them any more.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #9
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Mar 2006
Sierra Vista, AZ
Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts

I love talking to them. Especially after Ive been drinking. Ill just talk to hear myself talk, while they are trying to talk over me with their little spiel. Its funny, no matter what you say, they keep on trucking through their speech

Old 12-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts

My only score on a telemarketer was:

"Does your mother know what you do for a living?"

"No" ... click

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk