Printing at Kinkos; Sticking with Milk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiN8

Reaction score
To all who use the method listed in the title of this thread;

I have created a label using photoshop. I have tiled it to fit 4 labels per page; 4.5w x 3.5h. I was just about to print via online and pickup in store and I just randomly decided to try it on my own paper using my ink jet printer first forr a trial run.

Now I know that when printed at Kinkos, the ink will not run because they use laser printers... but I printed my label on my inkjet printer cut and applied with glue. It did stick VERY well, but wetting the label using milk made it look like SHYTE!

So who ever has printed at kinkos and stuck with milk, did you use a matte paper or regular kinkos #24? Did you use a gloass paper for a more professional look? and when you wet the label with milk did it ruin the label?

Regular kinkos paper. I do this with all my batches. The reason your -inkjet- label looked horrible when applied with milk is because the ink runs with moisture. Laser printed labels don't. The only time mine start to run is when I'm washing them off, which takes 4 seconds under warm water, then just rub downward and the whole thing slides right off.

Do it, man, it's a great and cheap method and comes off amazingly easy.

Print your label with your inkjet, then take it to the color laser copier at Kinkos, and cut/apply them with some milk on the back (I use a basting brush). People are always amazed that milk is what's holding them on so securely.

I keg everything but always bottle off at least 1 beer into a bottle for my collection. I use kinko regular laser paper. Should be $0.59. I use them because I like using their cropping/cutting table. I secure mine with either adheive spray or just a 3m glue stick. They come off amazingly easy when you wash bottles. I have even gotten into the habit of just printing a 8x10 to put on my kegs. You can spray clear paint over the labels and it will make them much more water resistant.

I keg everything but always bottle off at least 1 beer into a bottle for my collection. I use kinko regular laser paper. Should be $0.59. I use them because I like using their cropping/cutting table. I secure mine with either adheive spray or just a 3m glue stick. They come off amazingly easy when you wash bottles. I have even gotten into the habit of just printing a 8x10 to put on my kegs. You can spray clear paint over the labels and it will make them much more water resistant.

What would be a good spray adhesive that would still come off easily?

To all who use the method listed in the title of this thread;

I have created a label using photoshop. I have tiled it to fit 4 labels per page; 4.5w x 3.5h. I was just about to print via online and pickup in store and I just randomly decided to try it on my own paper using my ink jet printer first forr a trial run.

Now I know that when printed at Kinkos, the ink will not run because they use laser printers... but I printed my label on my inkjet printer cut and applied with glue. It did stick VERY well, but wetting the label using milk made it look like SHYTE!

So who ever has printed at kinkos and stuck with milk, did you use a matte paper or regular kinkos #24? Did you use a gloass paper for a more professional look? and when you wet the label with milk did it ruin the label?
I have been using www.says-it.com. Print w/ my inkjet on15# paper. When i apply, I use milk but I brush it on the bottle. ink never runs

I use an ink jet printer for all my wine labels as I do not bottle my beers (Yet!), I keg for now. Prior to placing the labels on the bottles, I spray them with a clear coat of spray from a can and allow them to dry completely (do this in a well ventilated area).

I no longer have problems with ink running and the labels still come off the bottle with no problems.

Salute! :mug:

Print your label with your inkjet, then take it to the color laser copier at Kinkos, and cut/apply them with some milk on the back (I use a basting brush). People are always amazed that milk is what's holding them on so securely.

Does it matter what type of milk? Whole, Skim? And it really holds that well huh? First time I ever heard that! Very cool!

Does it matter what type of milk? Whole, Skim? And it really holds that well huh? First time I ever heard that! Very cool!

It works. I recently did a test with just blank paper on a bottle, a little milk to make it stick, and it stuck very well when it dried. It sounded too simple and easy to be true, but it actually works.

Edit: That was 2% milk, by the way.

Very cool. And it doesn't smell like soured milk I assume, right? It evaporates off, and it's good to go?

yea i was all about making a milk paste but all i did was dip my finger in and run it along the back of the label in a pattern and BOOMWHAMMOCRAZYEXPLOSIONS it stuck! no stinkiness either.

So I made a visit to Kinko's and poured some milk today. Amazing!!! Worked like a charm. I used skim milk (because that is what I had on hand). Perfect!!!

I pinged my old chemistry teacher from high school about this, and this is his explanation:
"when milk dries, it turns into sticky stuff ;-) I'm pretty sure that its the casein protein in milk acts as an organic adhesive. I assume skim milk is better because the removal of the fat doesn't change the casein concentration but may let the milk-ture (I just invented a new word for "milk mixture") dry quicker."

Cool stuff!

Here's a pic of my labels going on. I soaked/dipped them right into a platter of milk, and then stuck them on, and used a paper towel to smooth them out and push the excess milk off the label. Really no need to use a brush to paint them on.

Here's a pic. Hopefully, it gets uploaded ok.

web.jpg

web.jpg

i wouldnt imagine very well as it would dissolve all of the adhesive milk. but then again, most beers if placed in a cooler will have their labels come off. i know its not something i would worry about...

How well does a milk stickied label hold up in a cooler of ice?

As an added benefit, putting milk stuck labels in the cooler of ice will wash the labels off for you, killing two birds with one stone.

I don't have a color laser printer at home. Kinko's isn't too bad. A couple bucks, and it's a lot higher quality. Plus I use their cutting table. Better than scissors.

One of the bottles started sweating pretty good and even with all the moisture, it didn't seem to budge. I'm sure with a soak, it will come off pretty easily though. I'm still amazed at how well those labels hold.

labels printed at Fed Ex and stuck to bottles with glue stick...comes right off in water and the labels won't run if slightly moist.

How well does a milk stickied label hold up in a cooler of ice?

As an added benefit, putting milk stuck labels in the cooler of ice will wash the labels off for you, killing two birds with one stone.

I see that as a disadvantage. I was hoping they would be able to handle it. I live in a small apartment and don't have room for a second fridge, so when I have parties a cooler of ice is how I keep large amounts of beer cold. I'd like my guests to be able to pull the beers out without them looking like garbage.

get some of that clear vinyl shelf liner stuff and try putting that over the labels?

I tried putting the milk on the label, and I found it to be a pain in the a$$.

Now i wet a paper towel with milk, and rub it on the bottle, then quickly slap the label onto the wetted surface, smooth it out from the center to the edges, and you're done.

all you need is to dampen the surface and the label will stick.

I'll stick with glue stick...I like my milk to much to waste on labels!! LOL

I've found that milk works best. It's fast and effective. I've used it for labels printed on basic copy paper, inkjet printer, with little to no bleeding; you just need to let the copy dry well enough before milking.

I just poor some milk in a dish, quickly soak the entire label, apply and dry.

I've done the Kinkos thing twice now and applied with milk. Works great! However, I noticed that the 2nd batch of labels I did at Kinkos tended to curl up when I milked them. I suspect the person at Kinkos used different weight paper the 2nd time. Does anyone know the weight of the standard paper they use?

you gotta just try this people it works amazing!!!! the paper sticks literally like glue, the paper tears its so stuck to the bottle! But a little warm water to soften it all up and it runs right off. It's great.

This sounds interesting and I wouldn't mind trying it for my next batch. Does anyone have the specs on the paper they use? The nearest Kinkos is a half hour drive each way, but there is a UPS store in my town.

This sounds interesting and I wouldn't mind trying it for my next batch. Does anyone have the specs on the paper they use? The nearest Kinkos is a half hour drive each way, but there is a UPS store in my town.

I use cheap cheap office depot paper. If you get both sides of the paper wet with milk, it should not curl. If you only do one side of the paper, it will curl. So either dunk the paper completely under the milk, or brush (or spray) the front of of the label after you apply it.

And keep an eye out for cats until it dries.

Well I've been using my normal paper and a gluestick, but I would like to try this since my printer is an inkjet and if the labels get wet at all, the ink just runs. So, applying those with milk won't really turn out that great.

I just tryed a sample of this simply printed on plain paper rubed milk on bottle with papper towel and aplyed label seemed to work fine !

ForumRunner_20120110_142428.jpg

Here are my latest bottles I did 36 of each and I can tell you wow I think 12 is enough that gets to be a PITA really quickly but the results are good

ForumRunner_20120111_213106.jpg

ForumRunner_20120111_213121.jpg

Doesn't seem like anyone has confirmed the best weight of paper to use at Kinkos, unless I missed it. Anyone?

Question though; I store my beers in the stone cellar (common in sweden, a couple of hundred years ago these were used as refrigerators).

Around 8-10 degrees and very damp, I'm sure the milk would create mold patterns?

bjolu340 said:
Question though; I store my beers in the stone cellar (common in sweden, a couple of hundred years ago these were used as refrigerators).

Around 8-10 degrees and very damp, I'm sure the milk would create mold patterns?

I use a simple glue stick.

Back