Opinions on Mead? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Opinions on Mead?

Old 05-30-2010, 04:09 AM   #1
maxamuus
Recipes 

Apr 2010
Utah
Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts

Ordered the NB catalog and was showing it too SWMBO and she saw the stuff on mead and thought it might be good to try. Never tried mead and i dont think i have ever even seen it in the Liquor store, but i live behind the Zion curtain so that isn't saying much.

What does mead taste like? I enjoy the "lighter" (wheat beers) to "Medium" beers (Ales) Enjoy wine as well, just not sure what mead is like at and just curious on fellow beer drinkers take on it.

Thanks

Old 05-30-2010, 05:31 AM   #2
whatisitgoodfor
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Austin
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

From everything I know it generally tastes like a dry white wine.

If you choose a variety of honey higher in maltose it will be more of an off-dry.

I'll know more in another 6 months or so when my first batch is ready.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
GRHunter
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Michigan
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamuus View Post
Ordered the NB catalog and was showing it too SWMBO and she saw the stuff on mead and thought it might be good to try. Never tried mead and i dont think i have ever even seen it in the Liquor store, but i live behind the Zion curtain so that isn't saying much.

What does mead taste like? I enjoy the "lighter" (wheat beers) to "Medium" beers (Ales) Enjoy wine as well, just not sure what mead is like at and just curious on fellow beer drinkers take on it.

Thanks
My friend made some a while back and it was OK. I certainly wouldn't put any effort into making it. Your best bet would be to go to your local specialty beer store and buy a bottle first.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:40 AM   #4
BBBF
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Chicago
Liked 96 Times on 78 Posts

It's more like wine than beer. You can make it dry, medium sweet or sweet.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Valparaiso, Indiana
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Its different, that's about the best way I can put it. Not bad, but I don't know that I'd want a full batch worth of it lying around. I definately recomend buying a bottle if you can and trying it first.