Here is my first "experiment". I'm from Louisiana, hence the name.
Not sure how this is going to turn out. I think I made quite a few mistakes and I'm actually wanting to do another batch right away and tweak the things I did wrong.
Here's the recipe I used:
96 bags Lipton tea
3 gallons distilled water
6 cups corn sugar
zest of 2 lemons and juice of 5
cotes de blanc dry yeast
First I boiled 1 gallon of water then added the sugar and zest.
Removing the pot from the burner I then let it steep for 5 minutes, removed the tea bags and added the lemon juice.
Here's where I think I messed up. I had a friend over at the time and became distracted. I placed the pot in my sink filled with cold water. In my carboy I added the distilled water which had been in my refrigerator. After probably less than two minutes I added the tea "wort" to the carboy and brought to volume with another cold gallon of water.
Then I pitched my yeast (without checking the temperature) to the carboy. I had made a starter and had it in my fridge and added it straight to the carboy.
I have no clue what temp my wort was before I pitched the yeast. I did take a gravity reading before pitching and it was somewhere around 1.012....kind of low. Guess I need to add a bit more sugar next time.
Well, it was an experiment that's for sure. I'll update once I see some activity...or not.