Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Possible infected starter?

Old 05-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
Atticmonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Possible infected starter?

Hey guys,
I am looking to brew a bavarian hefe soon and started bring my yeast starter up from a slant of wlp 300. This is my first time using this yeast and first time cultureing up a hefe yeast. The starter was cultured from 10ml to 100ml to 1000ml. So this morning I took a sample from the starter to taste to make sure everything was good and the sample has a slight tartness to it. Not smack you in the face tart but also Im not getting any banana or clove taste. The starter wort was all extra light dme so I dont think there is any wheat in it. So has anybody ever worked with this yeast enough to know if that is a normal flavor? And is it possible that its from the non wheat base wort? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
spriolo
Recipes 

What do you mean by tart? Green Apple?

What was your starter temp? High 70's?

Old 08-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Starter wort never tastes good in my experience...

Old 08-05-2010, 05:12 AM   #4
Atticmonkey
Recipes 

It wasnt acidic tart but just seemed to have a slight sourness to it. I think my starter temp was somewhere around 70 degrees. I ended up stepping it up to a full liter starter and it worked fine. I think it was just the taste of the hefe yeast that seemed to give it the tartness. The beer fermented out fine and tasted great so I guess I just was a little paranoid.