Well I finally got to making a mead!! all went pretty well for my first homebrew attempt.. I used 15lbs of honey for a 5.5 gal batch so I could get a semi-sweet mead. Starting gravity (after temp correction) was 1.095 which doesn't seem as high as I thought it would be.. I used Lalvin k1-v1116 yeast and about 4.5 gal of bottled water plus my yeast energizer and yeast nutrient. So all and all I think I did okay.. My only obvious mistake (I am sure I made some that wern't obvious to me) was while putting the airlock in the lid of the plastic primary fermenter.. the little black rubber grommet got pushed into the mead.. I hoped that it would float but it didn't.. I got another grommet on and everything is good now.. I just hope that rubber grommet doesn't cause any problems. Only time will tell!! And now I can't wait to try some.
Thanks to all that have answerd my questions on here previously.. and wish me luck!!
Upcoming: Berry Melomel, Coffee Cream Stout, Plum Mead, Acerglyn.
Fermenting/Bulk Aging: Spiced Cyser, Grape Pyment, Sweet Mead.
Bottled: Maple Porter, Honey Red Ale, JAO, Pear Mead, Sweet Zinfandel.