Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > banana wine
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 05:31 AM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SIDNEY, ohio
Posts: 3,521
Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default banana wine

I opened a bottle of my banana wine after 6 months in the bottle.. Poured a small amount in a glass and tasted it... tastes like banana flavored whiskey to me. wife said the exact same thing. recorked it and put it back in the cellar. NOW will that ruin this bottle having been opened?


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethepoolguy View Post
I started brewing 69 days ago, 35 gal so far. SWMBO hasnt complained yet! Better than the hookers, gambling, and crack I used to do, I guess.
BALDGUT BREWS
OHIOSTEVE is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Emerald
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 237
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default

I think it really depends on how much you took out and how long it was opened. I have had wine go yucky overnight and then had one bottle that was opened and got lost in the back of the fridge for a month and it tasted fine and it was only half full.

Too bad you don't have one of those vacuum caps that you can get for the foodsavor- I lost mine right now(its gotta be here somewhere) but you put the cap on plug in the hose from the vacuum machine and take the air out and it keep wine going long after it has been opened.

Oh and I too have several wines/mead going that are roughly fruit and honey flavored rocket fuel! But I have high hopes that they will mellow out-- if not they will become the star attraction in a sparkling wine/mead spritzer with fresh fruit added.
Just think how yummy your banana wine will be mixed into pina colada mix..


Emerald is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SIDNEY, ohio
Posts: 3,521
Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
I think it really depends on how much you took out and how long it was opened. I have had wine go yucky overnight and then had one bottle that was opened and got lost in the back of the fridge for a month and it tasted fine and it was only half full.

Too bad you don't have one of those vacuum caps that you can get for the foodsavor- I lost mine right now(its gotta be here somewhere) but you put the cap on plug in the hose from the vacuum machine and take the air out and it keep wine going long after it has been opened.

Oh and I too have several wines/mead going that are roughly fruit and honey flavored rocket fuel! But I have high hopes that they will mellow out-- if not they will become the star attraction in a sparkling wine/mead spritzer with fresh fruit added.
Just think how yummy your banana wine will be mixed into pina colada mix..
very very small amount. You can barely tell by looking at the volume in the bottle. Opened just a minute or two. I do have one of the vaccum things for storing opened wine.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethepoolguy View Post
I started brewing 69 days ago, 35 gal so far. SWMBO hasnt complained yet! Better than the hookers, gambling, and crack I used to do, I guess.
BALDGUT BREWS
OHIOSTEVE is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 65,393
Liked 6030 Times on 4299 Posts
Likes Given: 1553

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
very very small amount. You can barely tell by looking at the volume in the bottle. Opened just a minute or two. I do have one of the vaccum things for storing opened wine.
Once opened, it can get oxidized very easily. I'd drink it sooner, rather than later.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SIDNEY, ohio
Posts: 3,521
Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Once opened, it can get oxidized very easily. I'd drink it sooner, rather than later.
ok, but it is ROUGH!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethepoolguy View Post
I started brewing 69 days ago, 35 gal so far. SWMBO hasnt complained yet! Better than the hookers, gambling, and crack I used to do, I guess.
BALDGUT BREWS
OHIOSTEVE is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
.code.decode.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 22
Default

use it to make some bananas foster!
.code.decode. is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
indy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
ok, but it is ROUGH!
Suck it up and take your medicine girly man.
indy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #8
indy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 46
Default

Pick up a bottle of Table Mtn Wineries anything and drink it first. After you choke down that bottle anything you make will taste like the best wine ever. I know I licked my carpet for 1/2 an hour after 1/2 a glass trying to get the taste out of my mouth. Carpet tasted GREAT!
indy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #9
EoinMag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Posts: 1,178
Liked 60 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
ok, but it is ROUGH!

use it for cooking.
__________________
http://beernvictuals.blogspot.com/20...rters-and.html
http://beernvictuals.blogspot.com

You didn't say you didn't love me, when you were stretched out across my bed
You're drinkin' moonshine whisky and talking all outta your head.
Rory Gallagher - Pistol Slapper Blues (Trad)
EoinMag is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:01 AM   #10
CandleWineProject
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 593
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Maybe you could fortify it and add some sugar to balance it out? Make it into a liquor.


CandleWineProject is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Banana Wine Yooper Wine 654 Yesterday 07:38 PM
First time wine brewer-banana wine? Ky-Ale Wine Making Forum 7 03-18-2014 12:07 AM
Banana wine Wade E Wine 0 12-09-2009 04:15 AM
Banana wine with some vanilla...? Pbh187 Wine Making Forum 2 05-03-2009 12:30 PM
banana wine question Muntzster Wine Making Forum 4 10-15-2006 03:31 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS