My rented home (a rant) - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > My rented home (a rant)

Old 05-22-2010, 05:28 AM   #1
BBKing

Recipes 

Oct 2009
Canton, IL
Liked 52 Times on 52 Posts

In late August of last year, SWMBO and I found this neato 2 bedroom house w/ a decent sized backyard complete with a already planted garden (pumpkin, peppers, tomatoes and something I didnt recognize) and a pretty spacious one car garage. Rent was a little high, but we need room for our child who would be crawling any day now...so I paid the first months rent and the deposit and we moved in.

Flashforward to this very moment:

I LIVE IN HELL.

Ok, slight exaggeration. But consider that we have had 2 episodes of mold in our bedroom closet, a screen door that practically fell off its hinges after letting it shut on its own, a non-functioning fan in the living room, a bathroom door that doesnt close all the way (knew about this, but pisses me off now that everything else has happened), and the final straw today is the fan/light combo in the kitchen just quit working completely. No warning, just stopped working.

Oh, also consider I have an ******* neighbor that wants to come point out the property line every time I mow. God forbid I be off it by 2 inches, but hey, its cool if he takes a half a swipe into my yard. Yeah, it is cool, but if you wanna bitch about property lines, stick to that ya know?

I called the manager today and told him that stuff needs to start getting fixed around here. He told me 2 months ago that he had spoken to the owner who lives out of state, and was told the windows were going to be replaced as well as the siding come spring.

Well guess what mother****er, its almost summer. Lets get a move on

The manager and I have discussed the mold issue at length. After a final discussion today he's agreed that if I want to move out in a months time cause nothing is being resolved, I'll get my deposit back.

This place is honestly a nightmare. But god damn, I dont wanna move again.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
texmedic49

Recipes 

Mar 2009
Pearland, TX
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think I'd start looking for a new place, especially one with less ******* neighbors. Too bad nobody here posts up places for sale or rent, at least not that I have seen.

You would never have trouble brewing.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Rick91981
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Carmel, NY
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I don't know what the laws are by you, but around here the landlord is most certainly responsible to get those things fixed ASAP. If they do not you are entitled to pay for it out of pocket and then deduct the cost from the rent(submit the receipt as proof).

Old 05-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
Mermaid

Recipes 

Apr 2010
Bloomingdale, IL
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Don't move to Massachusetts

When you complain to a landlord about crap wrong with your rental, they look at you as if you've sprung a second head, then tell that if you don't f*ing like it, you can leave.

Only problem is that if you're renting with a dog and (and 2 cats), you might as well have 2 heads, a foreign accent, and bad credit - nobody wants to rent to you.

The place I rent now with my ("boyfriend" - it's a long story) is owned by one of the cheapest landlords I've ever had - but at least he mows the lawn and shovels the snow. It has offstreet parking (a bonus in the Boston area), a mostly dry basement, huge kitchen, space for a garden, and accepted the pets.

We've also had mold in the bedroom closets (badly insulated walls in dark, cool places), a broken handle on the back (screen) door, drafty rickety windows from the dawn of time, and a oil burner that is leaking (again).

I'm about to sign a lease for another year, because it's the best option we have at the moment.

I am truly sympathetic to your plight, BB.. renting SUCKS.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
ChshreCat

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Liked 539 Times on 431 Posts

Unfortunately, with two bouts of mold it sounds like the wall needs to be ripped down to studs (or further) and rebuilt. There's also likely some sort of leak letting moisture into the wall that needs to be addressed. We had the same issue in a townhouse apartment we were living in. The whole family developed asthma in the time we were living there. That mold is toxic stuff and shouldn't be messed with, especially with a little one in the house.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Denver, CO
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Get your deposit. Move ASAP. Pay a little more for a landlord that cares.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
WildGingerBrewing
Old and OK is good enuff
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2010
McKinney, TX
Liked 2321 Times on 2234 Posts

Dude, that sucks! But I agree, get your deposit and get the F out. Sounds like you have a small child that definitely doesn't need to be exposed to the mold!

Old 05-23-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
Cheeto
Born again N00b

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Spokane, Washington
Liked 381 Times on 336 Posts

Just move out !

Here in Wa we have an entire group of laws protecting the tenant of a rental.

Your mold problem would get you out of rent until the problem is fixed...
A broken hot water tank you you can start to charge the owner of the property...

If I were you I would look to see if your state has a "landlord tenant act"

http://www.rentlaw.com/illinoistenant.htm

http://tinyurl.com/267to9r
I don't want to never stop having poop stickers. -Austin post #6909379

I say some stupid chit -TXCrash post #7247287

Old 05-23-2010, 12:50 AM   #9
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

I have both lived in rented properties and rented properties to other people. In both cases the other people were complete ********.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:02 AM   #10
jmendez29

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Holland, Michigan
Liked 155 Times on 98 Posts

I don't know if it would apply or how you might go about it, but I've heard that if you can get a judgement against the landlord, then you can get your rent put into an escrow account until all issues have been addressed satisfactorily. In such a case, you would still be paying rent so they couldn't assess any late fees, but the landlord wouldn't have any access to that money until the problems are fixed to the standards of the state. Maybe worth looking in to?