Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Using a old aluminum pot

Old 05-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
Marsdude
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Using a old aluminum pot

I have read the thread about using aluminum pots as boil kettles. I have been wanting to try an all grain brew and the only thing stopping me was having a big enough pot. We run a commercial kitchen here and I just realized today (yes I am slow) that I have two 40qt. aluminum pot in the commercial kitchen. I could borrow one of them on brew day.

Here is my question. These pots have been used for years to cook everything you can imagine would be cooked in a pot. They are in good condition, however I was wondering if they would be OK to use to brew. If I cleaned one out well, would there be any problem with unwanted flavors in my brew?

If it would be OK to use, what should I clean them out with, a good dish soap? I can also run them through the commercial dishwasher.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

DO NOT run aluminum through a commercial dishwasher.
I would give it a good scrub with a green scrubby and a mild soap, down to the shiny. Then put 8 gallons of water in it and bring it to a boil.
That should remove anything unwanted and put back the oxidation layer that helps protect your product from aluminum's reactive nature.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
Marsdude
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
DO NOT run aluminum through a commercial dishwasher.
Yeah, you know as I was typing that I was thinking of the caustic warnings on the 5 gal. tubs of detergent we use for that machine. Thanks, I agree, it is probably not a good idea.

I like the suggestion about the green scrubby and then a boil to coat the pot.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

i suggest filling it with HOT water and PBW the night before. put the lid on and let it sit over night. the PBW should break up any invisible food residue on your pot and prevent any food flavors in your beer.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:20 AM   #5
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 766 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Simply put, clean it and use it, the pot is fine for brewing. Or if you want to be thorough and anal, scrub the hell out of it w/ a scotchbrite pad till it shines, then boil water in it till it is dull again, and then brew.

I would be a bit careful soaking aluminum for a length of time in caustic cleaners??? 40 qt is a great size for 5 gal batches.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:32 AM   #6
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
i suggest filling it with HOT water and PBW the night before. put the lid on and let it sit over night. the PBW should break up any invisible food residue on your pot and prevent any food flavors in your beer.
I's my understanding that you shouldn't use oxy cleaners on aluminum. Just soak it in water and wipe it out.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:40 AM   #7
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
This is exactly what I would do and have done after using a pot to fry a turkey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo88 View Post
I's my understanding that you shouldn't use oxy cleaners on aluminum. Just soak it in water and wipe it out.
Yes. Oxiclean is not good on aluminum. But, PBW has other stuff that buffers the reaction with aluminum. PBW is safe on soft metals (Al, Cu) for 24 hour soaks.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:29 AM   #8
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific View Post
This is exactly what I would do and have done after using a pot to fry a turkey.

Yes. Oxiclean is not good on aluminum. But, PBW has other stuff that buffers the reaction with aluminum. PBW is safe on soft metals (Al, Cu) for 24 hour soaks.
Ahhh!! good to know. I've always thought PBW was a glorified brewer's version of oxyclean.