Brewing cost - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing cost

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2006, 06:20 AM   #11
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
RichBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,892
Liked 168 Times on 88 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by God Emporer BillyBrew
Yeah, but you're Rich, Brewer.
Trust me when I say it's in name only...
__________________
Cheers,
Rich

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:31 PM   #12
boo boo
Recipes 
 
Jun 2005
Hearts's Delight, Newfoundland
Posts: 4,165
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
Saving money by going AG is one of the great misnomers of homebrewing since your need for new equipment on a continual basis goes up exponentially! Now, when are pH meters going to become more affordable...
Not for me. When I did extract brewing it was costing me $40 to $50 Cdn to brew 5 gallons, now I'm less than $20 Cdn per brew. Say I spent an extra $150 to get my mash tun outfitted and to buy a porkert mill (everything else like turkey frier etc I had anyway) I figure I'm in money or awful close to it.

And it is hard to buy this kind of fun.
__________________
How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:37 PM   #13
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
the_bird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2006
Adams, MA
Posts: 20,889
Liked 528 Times on 424 Posts


I've probably invested about two hundred bucks in gear to go AG. Would have been more if BostonBrewin' wasn't such a great guy and sent me a keg to convert. But, between the parts to convert that, the mash tun, the burner, deposit on a propane tank, the chiller... yeah, about $200.

I figure now, I can make a batch of beer for, eh, about $20. About ten bucks for the base grain (assuming I'm using nine pounds or so). Another three or four for specialty grains. A couple bags of hops at $2.50 a pop. Dry yeast.

Extract, the HBS sells three-pound bags of DME for $15 (yeah, I know, a ripoff). Two of those, plus three or four bucks of specialty grains, plus hops, plus the yeast, about $40 bucks.

So, unless I go absolutely ape**** in buying MORE gear, that's about a ten-batch payback period. The only other *big* piece of equipment on the list is a grain mill, and the only real cost to that is paying Yuri to machine me up a couple roller mills. That'll pay for itself by letting me buy bulk grain.
__________________
Come join Yankee Ingenuity!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 06:39 PM   #14
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Orfy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Posts: 11,732
Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts


I went to AG including burner, keg, hot water heater and mash tun for less then 70.
__________________
GET THE GOBLIN
Have a beer on me.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 06:45 PM   #15
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
DARLINGTON, MARYLAND
Posts: 4,289
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


AG is definately worth it. My last brew cost $22 USD including $6 for yeast, and bagged hops by the ounce.

I've bought some mail order hops at 0.85/oz. so that should cut down the next batch a about $3, and if I save my yeast I could save another $6. Heck, once you're down to $13/5 gal batch...you see it is MUCH cheaper than the $35 kits, and it's a ton more fun. Now, I went kinda nuts and bought a full AG setup on Ebay for $300, but I have more than enough equipment to brew 10 gallon all grain batches. No need to go up that high unless you really want to get into 10 gallon batches.
__________________
http://www.survivalsupplyhq.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:57 PM   #16
Bigfoot99
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
Colorado
Posts: 49
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrewer
There are a lot of variables when it comes to the cost of going all grain so it's kind of an individual thing.
I can tell you what I save between grain and malt extract with each batch.
I buy my base malt (American 2 row) in a 55 pound sack. It costs me about 30 dollars or roughly 55 cents per pound. I use about 9 pounds or so in a batch. I don't buy specialty grains in bulk so figure about 2 pounds average at 1.50 per pound.
RichBrewer, where are you getting your bulk grain at? What part of Colorado are you in?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:47 AM   #17
UTDoug
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Posts: 95
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Interestingly (or maybe not) while studying for my finance final I used risk-neutral probabilities to determine the net present value of going all-grain. I considered that I'm a new brewer and said there was a 20% chance I'd do only 5 more batches and an 80% chance I'd do 40 batches before work kills the fun, and then used the $7 or so cost savings per batch, and in the end did I think the project was only worth $20 or something. Plus there is the cost of storage, and if you're married your significant other will probably decide they need something else for their hobby too so you can double all your costs.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:29 PM   #18
desiderata
 
desiderata's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Posts: 521
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by UTDoug
Interestingly (or maybe not) while studying for my finance final I used risk-neutral probabilities to determine the net present value of going all-grain. I considered that I'm a new brewer and said there was a 20% chance I'd do only 5 more batches and an 80% chance I'd do 40 batches before work kills the fun, and then used the $7 or so cost savings per batch, and in the end did I think the project was only worth $20 or something. Plus there is the cost of storage, and if you're married your significant other will probably decide they need something else for their hobby too so you can double all your costs.
So, if I understand correctly, your calculations show that by going all-grain, you will only save $20? (is this for the lifespan of equipment, annual, each batch, what?)

I think you are right about the storage. I live in an apartment, so that, itself, deters me from taking the plunge.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:33 AM   #19
dcbrewmeister
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
San Antonio, TX
Posts: 228

Did he ever say what he is brewing with?

Unless you have a place to keep it where it won't spoil before you use it, or if you brew say nearly every weekend, keep buying the kits. Chances are you will brew many different kits. If you start buying grain in bulk, are you going to brew the same recipe or recipes that use the same grains to use up your bulk purchase before it goes bad? Grain doesn't stay good forever.

If your brewing with extract, keep buying kits. You will either end up with a 55gal drum in your closet, or a bunch of little plastic jugs with extract sitting around the house waiting for what?

DME is probably the easiest to take car of, but why have a bunch of it waiting around to get wet or have the bag break?

If your just starting out with brewing, you have plenty of time for this hobby to go awry - don't rush it. Just wait until you are building a shack in the back just to brew in like me

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTDoug
, and if you're married your significant other will probably decide they need something else for their hobby too so you can double all your costs.
Ain't that the truth!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brewing your own beer - (cost) Tuzlo Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 42 01-15-2009 01:19 PM
Natural Gas unit cost for brewing? brewpal Equipment/Sanitation 3 07-29-2008 01:41 AM
The Cost of Brewing Fenix26 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 26 02-21-2008 04:48 PM
Brewing Cost Cutting Methods Beer Snob Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 12-31-2005 10:14 PM


Forum Jump