Can you Brew It recipe for Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
This is based on the rebrew which was deemed "cloned."

All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

OG 1053
42 IBU

90 min boil

5.23kg Pale Ale Malt
400g crystal 75
90g carapils

28g cascade 6%AA at 85m
28g cascade at 30m
28g cascade at 5m
28g cascade at 0
21g cascade dry hop

WLP002

Mash at 149F

Add gypsum

Ferment at 65F, raising to 72F after 4 days

Discussion notes:
The base malt is specifically Great Western Pale Ale Malt, which was noted to have a large impact on the flavor.

Now if I could just get some of that great water they have up there...

Thanks for the recipe. I'll likely brew this one near the end of june.

Now if I could just get some of that great water they have up there...

Thanks for the recipe. I'll likely brew this one near the end of june.

No doubt. They definitely have an advantage with that water.

Eric

I frequent their brewery, yes their water is great. I just don't reccomend drinking the city water from Bend-tastes very nasty compared to my well out here in the Willamette Valley!

Bend water is well water,, just not from THAT side of the hill, :D
its strange tho,, I live 15 miles north of Bend in Redmond and are water is hard like 220ppm and bend's is much softer .. Redmond water is also city well water but from a different aquifer

anyone got an SRM on this brew? and a preboil gravity is usually helpful too! thank you!

Don't think they gave an SRM.

Preboil gravity is just a function of the amount of sugar in a volume of wort:

6 gallons at 1053 equals 318 gravity points (6x53)

318 gravity points spread out over 7.27 gallons equals approximately 1044 (318/7.27 = about 44).

Make sense?

Eric

Always thought this to be a boring beer until I stood in line for Yankees @ Mariners in 95F sun for awhile. I had to fork over the credit card for $8.75 for a Mirror Pond but in all honesty at that moment I would have rated it the best beer I ever drank.

I am going to brew this at some point later this year.

*** rant - pro sports prices are insane at this point. I can't imagine how the average guy/gal can afford to go to more than one game a year. It's nuts! My family ate like money grows on trees, I had one Beer!

I just enjoyed the first bottle from my batch. Wow, I would say spot on. This is gonna go fast. Thanks Jamil and TBN and thank Eric for posting this on HBT.

Cheers

I just enjoyed the first bottle from my batch. Wow, I would say spot on. This is gonna go fast. Thanks Jamil and TBN and thank Eric for posting this on HBT.

Cheers

I guess you beat me to it !

I'll have to do this one next and skip the IRA.

I frequent their brewery, yes their water is great. I just don't reccomend drinking the city water from Bend-tastes very nasty compared to my well out here in the Willamette Valley!

They use 'City' Water. They filter the hell out of it though.

I used S-04, fermented this at 65F but didn't do the temp. raise. I also used Great Western NW pale ale malt, omitted the gypsum and it turned out very good. Close enough for me, the pale ale malt really is the key, gives it great body. This will be going on my regular rotation of brews. Next time I'll try adding the gypsum, but maybe only half as much. After about six weeks grain to glass this turned out to be a smooth, balanced pale ale.

This will be my next brew. I was at a hockey game the other night and had to pay $7 for a cup of Mirror Pond. I had never tried it before but I was very impressed! I agree on the sports prices though. They're freakin ridiculous. But, I'm an idiot and bought three $7 beers.

I'm brewing a variation on this...

10 lb Pale Malt
1 lb Crystal 77
1 oz Chinook (11.4%, 60 mins)
1 oz Cascade (7%, 30 mins)
1 oz Cascade (7%, 5 mins)
1 oz Cascade (7%, 0 mins)
1 oz Cascade (dry hop)
WLP001
RO water
5g gypsum
5g cacl2

6 gallons pre-boil
5 gallons post-boil
mash at 151°F for 90 minutes
60 minute boil

Always thought this to be a boring beer until I stood in line for Yankees @ Mariners in 95F sun for awhile. I had to fork over the credit card for $8.75 for a Mirror Pond but in all honesty at that moment I would have rated it the best beer I ever drank.

I am going to brew this at some point later this year.

*** rant - pro sports prices are insane at this point. I can't imagine how the average guy/gal can afford to go to more than one game a year. It's nuts! My family ate like money grows on trees, I had one Beer!

:off:In St. Louis you pay the same amount for bud light...I think you got a great price.

:off:In St. Louis you pay the same amount for bud light...I think you got a great price.

Seriously! I spent about $200 just to go see a college football game a few weeks ago... and we tailgated before the game, so we barely even bought anything during the game. Just some dippin dots and 1 piss beer for me.

Thanks, Eric, for posting this. Makes for easy reference. :)

I brewed this up with a tiny twist on the base grain since I couldn't get the GW Pale Ale Malt.

~3 gallon batch
3.5 lbs 2Row
3 lbs Maris Otter
8 oz Crystal 60
3.25 oz Carapils
Wyeast 1968
Cascade @5.5% AA
.5oz @70
.7oz @30
.7oz @5
.7oz @0
.6oz dry hop

I did a 75 minute boil. OG: 1.059 FG: 1.013
Fermented at 62-64F for about the first week and then let it raise to about 68F or so for another 3 weeks (laziness). Dry hopped for the last week.

By far the best beer that I've brewed. Amazing balance of sweet malt, 1968 ester, and hop bite. I seriously savor every sip of this. It's been a while since I've had a Mirror Pond, so I don't know if this is a complete clone, but it sure is damn good!

Could I trouble someone for a Partial Recipe for this brew? I don't have the equipment just yet to pull off a full AG batch and I LOVE this beer.

Thanks for your help

:mug:

ButcherBrew said:
Could I trouble someone for a Partial Recipe for this brew? I don't have the equipment just yet to pull off a full AG batch and I LOVE this beer.

Thanks for your help

:mug:

Take a look at the link in my signature or take the recipe to your LHBS.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I can't find Great Western Pale Malt. Would it help to just use Maris Otter instead? Or should I mix regular pale and MO 50/50 like the previous poster did?

I used the 50/50 based on Jamil's initial comments on the taste test of the first clone attempt. I didn't do a side by side comparison to Mirror Pond with mine because I was more concerned with just making a good pale ale, but the next time that I brew this I think I'll try with all MO.

I used the 50/50 based on Jamil's initial comments on the taste test of the first clone attempt. I didn't do a side by side comparison to Mirror Pond with mine because I was more concerned with just making a good pale ale, but the next time that I brew this I think I'll try with all MO.

Results?

It was a fantastic beer. I don't have the most refined palate and am fairly new to all this so I can't say that I'd definitely be able to discern a 100% MO beer from a 50/50, but I was extremely pleased with the results of this brew.

I brewed a 10 gallon batch following this recipe and it was gone before I had the chance to try it side-by-side with the commercial version. Going to brew it again in a few weeks.

Is the dry hopping done in the primary or secondary? I have this one in the kettle now, moving it to the carboy within the hour:eek:

I usually brew all grain but it is very cold at this time of the year in Montreal. Anyone has a partial mash version of the Mirror Pond clone?
s

terrenum said:
I usually brew all grain but it is very cold at this time of the year in Montreal. Anyone has a partial mash version of the Mirror Pond clone?
s

Try the link in my signature.

Eric.

Tinpanharry said:
Is the dry hopping done in the primary or secondary? I have this one in the kettle now, moving it to the carboy within the hour:eek:

Primary. No need to secondary this beer.

Eric

Just brewed this today for the 2nd time. Going to do a blind tasting this time around. Ill post an update in about 6 weeks.

Ended up with 1.052 OG, 1.012 FG. Dry hopping in the keg now, will probably pull out the hops and carb it up this weekend. I said six weeks initially, but this tasted great at day 10 so I opted for a shorter primary. It was pretty clear already so it shouldn't need too much conditioning time - gotta love 002.

I did this recipe as my first all grain batch. Got a 1.056 so I was pretty happy about that. It had great color. Plan on fermenting for 2 weeks then dry hopping. Probably going to use hop bags.

I also racked this to the keg today. I used all Marris Otter and US-04 yeast. I know it's probably not going to be much of a clone, but its pretty damn good.

I decided not to dry hop this as the flavor was to my liking. That may be a mistake, we will see.

I also had a SG of 1.056 that fermented down to 1.015.

Can't wait for this to carb up. :mug:

Back