Pesticides?? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Pesticides??
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
12hunt
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Southwest Michigan
Posts: 4


Hello to all, new to the forum! Also fairly new to hop growing in my second year. We have a ton beetles and other insects which devistated my plants last year. I was wondering if Sevin is a safe pesticide to use on the plants? I know no pesticide is truly safe but not sure what else to do. Thanks for any help.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
hoppymonkey
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
north atlanta
Posts: 1,020
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts


I hear of guys using it, but you have to stop at least 20 days prior to harvest to be able to safely use hop cones.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
lazybean
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
San Diego
Posts: 177
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Try Tobacco juice, i have found it works really good. It doesnt seem to kill everthing in the garden but really helps control them to the point of it not being a problem. I will also do the Beer trap to get the slugs/snails, which was just talked about in the Slug thread.

How to make tobacco juice.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
hoppymonkey
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
north atlanta
Posts: 1,020
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybean View Post
Try Tobacco juice, i have found it works really good. It doesnt seem to kill everthing in the garden but really helps control them to the point of it not being a problem. I will also do the Beer trap to get the slugs/snails, which was just talked about in the Slug thread.

How to make tobacco juice.

Now that is cool. I have a issue with something eating mine now and I think i'll give it a try.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
lazybean
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
San Diego
Posts: 177
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


IF you can find Chewing tobacco(un-flavored) or cigars, they have less chemicals used to make them, and make a better Juice to me.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
JeffHops
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Gervais, Or.
Posts: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12hunt View Post
Hello to all, new to the forum! Also fairly new to hop growing in my second year. We have a ton beetles and other insects which devistated my plants last year. I was wondering if Sevin is a safe pesticide to use on the plants? I know no pesticide is truly safe but not sure what else to do. Thanks for any help.
Sevin Kills everything including Honey Bees. Not Good and not labeled for Hops in the commercial end. Google: Provado

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
Randar
All your Ninkasi are belong to us
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Randar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Wheeling, IL
Posts: 39,027
Liked 5210 Times on 5040 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by 12hunt View Post
Hello to all, new to the forum! Also fairly new to hop growing in my second year. We have a ton beetles and other insects which devistated my plants last year. I was wondering if Sevin is a safe pesticide to use on the plants? I know no pesticide is truly safe but not sure what else to do. Thanks for any help.
If you want good suggestions you need to do a little more research and ask about controlling specific insects. With plenty of companion plantings in my garden, I don't end up using any pesticides on my hops and only nuke the Japanese beetles in the ground (same with slugs, but I use sluggo). I try to limit topical application to as small an area as possible, and this is true on everything from hops to broccoli to peaches.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
marms
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Michigan
Posts: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybean View Post
IF you can find Chewing tobacco(un-flavored) or cigars, they have less chemicals used to make them, and make a better Juice to me.
So your saying if i spit my chew on my plants, its good for them?!?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
JeffHops
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Gervais, Or.
Posts: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by marms View Post
So your saying if i spit my chew on my plants, its good for them?!?

Nicotine was the go to chemical back in the "old" days!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
12hunt
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Southwest Michigan
Posts: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
If you want good suggestions you need to do a little more research and ask about controlling specific insects. With plenty of companion plantings in my garden, I don't end up using any pesticides on my hops and only nuke the Japanese beetles in the ground (same with slugs, but I use sluggo). I try to limit topical application to as small an area as possible, and this is true on everything from hops to broccoli to peaches.
First of all thank you to everyone for the suggestions!!! Kinda like the tabacco idea will research this!

Randar I have checked into the companion plants just seemed a little overwhelming. My problem that I run into with the yard apps is that I would need to cover more than an acre ( i think) of yard still leaving 2 acres uncovered think I would be spinning my wheels. Not sure though maybe only covering one portion would be sufficient???



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pesticides and Hops? Aleforge Hops Growing 0 05-14-2008 01:21 PM


Forum Jump