Primimng a barley wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HodgsonsBrewer

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm planning on brewing a barley wine next and I need some advice on how to bottle condition it. The OG will be 1.120 and I'm hoping to get it down to 1.024 FG. That's 12.4% abv of goodness! I will let it sit in the secondary in my frig for about two months at 40F to clear up before I bottle it. Will I need to add a bit of new yeast and how much sugar should I add, I like bubbles so? How long should this be aged? I thank you in advance for your input.

Im not a good example of this as I brewed only one Barleywine 5 years ago and kegged it, and hid it away in the back of a closet. I just tapped it about 3 weeks ago and bottled most of it. It is awesome. Malty darkness from heaven. The longer its aged, the better, IMHO.

If you are storing this in your fridge at 40 than you will need to add some yeast before bottling. That will drop the majority of the yeast out of suspension.

It is also my understanding that beers age slower at colder temps. They are best aged at cellar temps of 60 degrees. At cellar temps I would age a Barley wine a minimum of 6 months. A year would be better.

Back