Kegerator Tower-Copper pipes vs. Cooling Fan - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators & Keezers > Kegerator Tower-Copper pipes vs. Cooling Fan

Old 05-20-2010, 02:23 AM   #1
bkaqm6
Recipes 

Jan 2010
St. Louis

Hey guys,

I am converting a mini fridge to a kegerator in the near future. I have seen a couple of ways to keep your beer lines cool as they enter the tower. Some have drilled two small holes and ran copper pipe to the tower, some one large hole with copper pipes, and some with a large hole and an electric fan to cool the tower. Anyone with experience in any of these methods? If you did run a fan, how did you wire/connect it? I am not planning on drilling a hole besides for the tower, as I am keeping my CO2 tank inside the fridge.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-27-2010, 02:31 AM   #2
brewslut
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Warren County,NJ
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

1/2" copper with your lines run through it should be plenty for keeping beer cold. just leave about 2" of the copper hanging into the fridge so that short part gets nice exposure to the "fridge" temps I use this method and it works great! unless your keg is in 90 degree heat it should be fine its only a foot of line thats not in the fridge.... hope this helps.
http://www.finalgravitypodcast.com

Old 05-27-2010, 04:22 AM   #3
thedude00

Recipes 

Apr 2010
Staten Island, New York
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Bro check this out it should help you out

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/pvc-...olution-43072/

Old 05-27-2010, 04:43 AM   #4
kegtoe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

personally, i wouldnt worry about it. check out my coffin - i dont cool my tower and get good pors

Old 11-10-2015, 05:02 AM   #5
xxxspank
Recipes 

Nov 2015

Has anyone thought of pairing 2 copper pipes?
The First to run the beer line thru and the Second jointed to the first, only adding a cooling agent inside and sealing it (following the other pipe).

thinking of maybe the stuff inside an Ice pack? which will transfer the cold to the pipe that has the beer line running thru it ?

Which in mind, means a colder transfer???

I am putting together a kegger from an old small fridge and I have been thinking of what options there are. I prefer to not have any other holes as stated above.... but still need to cool the tower.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
PinzonCachondo
Recipes 

May 2014
El Quisco, Chile
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

<deleted>

Reason: posted in wrong thread. sorry bout that.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:54 PM   #7
crane
Recipes 

Sep 2011
San Diego, CA
Liked 77 Times on 64 Posts

My kegerator has one large hole for the tower. I run 3 beer lines up it. I started with copper pipe that came down a couple of inches with a tee and a other piece of copper extending back to touch the cold plate in the fridge. Didn't help at all with foamy pours. I switched to a fan blowing cold air up the tower and that works much better. The temperature in the tower is now only 5F higher than the temp of the air in the fridge.

My advice is to not waste your time with the copper pipes and go straight for the fan.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:15 PM   #8
day_trippr
Recipes 

May 2011
Stow, MA
Liked 2937 Times on 2193 Posts

I also went with an active cooler for my tower and it works pretty well.
This time of the year the differential from inside the keezer to inside the tower is about 4 degrees, but looking at mid-July captures it ranges as high as ~8F in the heat of summer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	keezer_temps.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	316166

Definitely need good insulation inside the tower though, otherwise it'll sweat like crazy during the dog days of August here...

Cheers!