Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > back-sweetening hard-rootbeer: keg bomb?

Old 05-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
schadelh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default back-sweetening hard-rootbeer: keg bomb?

I am planning to make a hard root-beer for SWMBO. My original plan was to ferment sugar, honey, and light malt. Then back sweeten with splenda, add rootbeer flavor, and keg or prime and bottle.

A buddy of mine said "yuck- splenda!" and told me to back sweeten with sugar, and keg it. He told me as the pressure builds due to renewed fermentation, the yeast will stop consuming sugar, leaving me with keg-conditioned, sweet rootbeer. Will doing this over-carbonate my rootbeer, or worse yet, make a keg bomb (I suppose the pressure-relief valve would blow first)? or do the yeast generally quit before the pressure gets too out of hand?

Old 05-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just use some crushed campden tablets at the end of fermentation and you can back-sweeten until your heart's content. You'll need to force carbonate, but if you're kegging, that's not an issue.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Or use Truvia or other Stevia product - better tasting than splenda.
If you use one of these, caution - stop sweetening before it's "sweet enough" - because in 3 weeks it will be sweeter. Don't know why it does that, but my personal experience back sweetening some Apfelwein 'just a touch' ended badly.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
schadelh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang Glider View Post
Or use Truvia or other Stevia product - better tasting than splenda.
If you use one of these, caution - stop sweetening before it's "sweet enough" - because in 3 weeks it will be sweeter. Don't know why it does that, but my personal experience back sweetening some Apfelwein 'just a touch' ended badly.
How much sweeter will it get, and how long does it take to reach this maximum sweetness?

OR

How sweetener much should one consider adding for 5 gal?