Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Port Brewing Hop 15...flat?

Old 05-19-2010, 02:47 AM   #1
czeknere
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Port Brewing Hop 15...flat?

Was real excited to try this brew out tonight. Pulled it out of the fridge, popped the cap......nothing. No pfft, no psst...just the sound of my prying the cap off. Beer poured with no head, some tiny bubbles and the slightest bit of carbonation...I'm wondering if I got a bad bottle or if this is how it is supposed to be out of the bottle. I know I've had IPAs off of beer pumps before, maybe they were trying to recreate that? Maybe I'm way off base in thinking that?

Did a search over at Beer Advocate, and the first reviewers comment got me thinking; it was something along the lines of how 'it had been a while since I've had a carbonated Hop-15.'

I guess this is just somewhat of a rant, but I'm curious, has anyone else experienced something like this with Hop-15? Overall the flavor/aroma is great, I'm just quite disappointed in thinking that I'm not getting the most out of this beer, or maybe I was just expecting something different.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:00 AM   #2
mullenite
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Lost Abbey (same owner/brewer as Port Brewing) has developed a nickname of Flat Abbey. They have been having continuous carbonation problems at both sites for some time now.

When he gets carbonation right though his beers are great.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:14 AM   #3
Alehouserock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I live in the same area as Lost Abbey/Pizza Port tempature from beach breezes are a problem.
Give the beer a shake to activate the yeast and store it like you would your homebrew for the same or more time.

They are reportedly using a hot room now to carbonate.

Primary 3:CA Common

Old 05-19-2010, 03:18 AM   #4
czeknere
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullenite View Post
Lost Abbey (same owner/brewer as Port Brewing) has developed a nickname of Flat Abbey. They have been having continuous carbonation problems at both sites for some time now.

When he gets carbonation right though his beers are great.
I can imagine this beer would be great if the carbonation would be better. As is its still drinkable, once you get past the lack of carb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alehouserock View Post
I live in the same area as Lost Abbey/Pizza Port tempature from beach breezes are a problem.
Give the beer a shake to activate the yeast and store it like you would your homebrew for the same or more time.

They are reportedly using a hot room now to carbonate.
Interesting idea...I wish I had done my research before opening this one. Maybe I'll go grab another tomorrow.

Thanks for the insight!

Old 05-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
skadalajara
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by czeknere View Post
Interesting idea...I wish I had done my research before opening this one. Maybe I'll go grab another tomorrow.
Just recap it.
Or get a 3G Cornie and every time you get a flat one, pour it in. When it's full, carb it yourself.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
xjncoguyx
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

I had the same problem with one i got from wegmans. I know its been covered but them and lost abbey are sister companies, and they are known for carb problems. (Flat Abbey) is their nickname. Hop-15 when carb'd is very very good though.