PB2 Peanut Butter Powder Utilization - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > PB2 Peanut Butter Powder Utilization

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Mischief_Brewing
 
Mischief_Brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Montpelier, VT
Posts: 1,264
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts



Sorry for the new thread about this, but the original thread discussion its use" http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pean...-butter-61538/ is long and I want to try and focus on finding out how to best utilize this stuff.

So the product is PB2 from the Bell Plantation

The ingredients are:
Quote:
PB2: Powdered Peanut Butter
Ingredients: Roasted peanuts, sugar and salt.
Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
Servings per container: 15
Amount per 2 Tablespoon serving (when mixed with water):
Calories: 45
Calories from fat: 13

Value and % Daily Value*

Total fat 1.5 g 3%
Saturated fat 0 g 0%
Trans fat < 0.01 g
Cholesterol < 0.01 mg 0%
Sodium 94 mg 4%
Total carbohydrate 5 g 2%
Dietary fiber 2 g 8%
Sugars 1 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A < 1%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium <1%
Iron 0%
From what people have said in the other thread, they have used large quantities and had very little flavor in the end.

My primary question is how could we best utilize this product to gain the maximum amount of peanutbutter flavor in the end product?

Does anybody know when the best time to put this ingredient into the brewing process? Will it always settle out and leave very little in suspension or is it a matter of boiling it longer? Are peanuts soluble in alcohol or water at all?

What would be the maximum amount I could use based upon the salt content and not kill my yeast and/or the beer?

Any information you guys/gals have that would help me determine the best way to make my peanutbuttercup stout is greatly appreciated!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
remilard
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Kansas City
Posts: 3,654
Liked 43 Times on 41 Posts


Most flavors and aromas are alcohol soluble. So the best way to utilize may be to infuse neutral grain spirits. That raises the question who is better at dissolving peanut butter flavor in neutral grain spirits, you and me or a flavor extract company? You may get better results with a high quality extract.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
Mischief_Brewing
 
Mischief_Brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Montpelier, VT
Posts: 1,264
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts


I'm wondering if I should just assault this brew with any and all forms of this powder that I can. Put it in at every hop addition, and in primary and secondary. I'll also soak several ounces in vodka for a month and dump that into secondary.

Although the problem with this method is that if it works, I won't know which method caused it to...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
chrispykid
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Brooklyn
Posts: 184
Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by drat View Post
I'm wondering if I should just assault this brew with any and all forms of this powder that I can. Put it in at every hop addition, and in primary and secondary. I'll also soak several ounces in vodka for a month and dump that into secondary.

Although the problem with this method is that if it works, I won't know which method caused it to...
Yeah, you want to isolate variables - best bet might be to split batch it. Indications from the earlier threads are that late boil additions don't do much so I'd guess the best bet is to scrap that addition altogether, bump up the volume and include it for the full 60 minute boil. Then do some kind of split batch experimentation after primary fermentation. If you've got the fermenter space go one third as is, one third straight secondary addition and one third extract addition.

Hopefully at least one of the three will be in the ballpark of what you're looking for and will tell you where to go as far as experimenting with future batches.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
Mischief_Brewing
 
Mischief_Brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Montpelier, VT
Posts: 1,264
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispykid View Post
Yeah, you want to isolate variables - best bet might be to split batch it. Indications from the earlier threads are that late boil additions don't do much so I'd guess the best bet is to scrap that addition altogether, bump up the volume and include it for the full 60 minute boil. Then do some kind of split batch experimentation after primary fermentation. If you've got the fermenter space go one third as is, one third straight secondary addition and one third extract addition.

Hopefully at least one of the three will be in the ballpark of what you're looking for and will tell you where to go as far as experimenting with future batches.
I've only got the capacity to do a 6 gallon batch and divide it into two 3-gallon secondaries.

So once I get the ingredients and time (mid June probably), I'll brew a 6-gallon batch adding 4 oz at start of boil. I'll make a jar containing 4 oz and enough vodka to cover the powder at the same time and hold it for secondary.

After a month in primary, I'll rack to 2 different 3-gallon carboys. One with the peanutbutter vodka and one empty. After a 6-month rest, I'll sample both. I'll likely blend them both back together and keg 5 gallons and bottle 1.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
chrispykid
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Brooklyn
Posts: 184
Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by drat View Post
I've only got the capacity to do a 6 gallon batch and divide it into two 3-gallon secondaries.

So once I get the ingredients and time (mid June probably), I'll brew a 6-gallon batch adding 4 oz at start of boil. I'll make a jar containing 4 oz and enough vodka to cover the powder at the same time and hold it for secondary.

After a month in primary, I'll rack to 2 different 3-gallon carboys. One with the peanutbutter vodka and one empty. After a 6-month rest, I'll sample both. I'll likely blend them both back together and keg 5 gallons and bottle 1.
Sounds like a great start. Please let me know how this turns out when you get around to it - I'm intrigued.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:23 AM   #7
rorypayne
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 176
Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts


Please keep us posted because as all men know everything is better with peanut butter!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:15 AM   #8
bkov
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
jersey
Posts: 987
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


i would do a batch (even if its a 1 or 2 gallon) of a light beer such as a blonde ale and add the same proportion of the powder.

that way you can see if its the dark roasty flavors covering the peanutbutter up

or if its powder not delivering on the flavor

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:53 AM   #9
wildwest450
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Posts: 9,043
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by drat View Post
My primary question is how could we best utilize this product to gain the maximum amount of peanutbutter flavor in the end product?
Not to be a dick, but use it on a sandwich, and keep it out of your beer. Paenut butter beer just sounds wrong.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
Mischief_Brewing
 
Mischief_Brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Montpelier, VT
Posts: 1,264
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Not to be a dick, but use it on a sandwich, and keep it out of your beer. Paenut butter beer just sounds wrong.
To each his own.

Hell, with all the crazy shiat people put in beer nowadays, peanut butter and chocolate sound downright normal to me...

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Peanut Butter Porter W/Powdered Peanut Butter SuperiorBrew Recipes/Ingredients 168 03-12-2016 04:55 PM
Mashing with Peanut Butter CaptYesterday Recipes/Ingredients 11 08-06-2009 08:07 PM
Peanut Butter? bubbachunk General Techniques 1 02-25-2009 04:21 AM
Peanut Butter Wine?! LawMonkey Winemaking Forum 10 07-27-2007 07:29 PM
Peanut Butter Brown Ale Torchiest Recipes/Ingredients 9 01-03-2007 09:58 PM


Forum Jump