Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Thinking of giving up brewing!

Old 05-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
MVKTR2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Thinking of giving up brewing!

I'm ticked off!!! I just don't have the time to brew which is simply crazy considering I'm only employed part-time. We're strapped for cash so everything I do brew related seems to be done the 'hard' way. Example, I've had 2 corney kegs & a 20# co2 tank for over a year and haven't cobbled together the $80+ bucks it takes to get the rest of my kegging equipment yet. I'm just depressed with this crap, struggling to get time to bottle... struggling to get time to brew... everything done the hard way! I've got a Wee Heavy that's been sitting in the primary for over a month now and haven't had time to either transfer or at this point, bottle it. Tried last night, but had to put all my bottles up out of the dishwasher after sanitizing and such, just ran out of time dealing with everything else.

Thinking of signing this post 'Help depressed brewer'!

I was so mad last night I sat down and made a list of all my equipment and original prices so I could try to sell it for 60% of what I have in it! Suppose I'll cool off for a few days then see how I feel.

Phillip

Ps I was so disgusted last night I almost took my wee heavy out and just poured it out!!!

Old 05-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
seabrew8
Recipes 

Relax dude, sounds like your having a bit of a rough time. It happens to all of us, i know all about it.

I guess this is a good time to quote Charlie P. RDWHAHB. If you have any.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Yeah, I find myself having a hard time finding time to do brew related things also... bottling is one of them. I can tell you this, I've left stuff in the primary for over 60 days and the product was great. Even with Wyeast 1968 which is supposedly a fast autolyser, no problem, up to 60 days from my experience. So don't worry about the wee being a bit old in the primary. Dude, you love brewing, and you will be brewing your whole life so just chill and regroup

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Old 05-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 23

That 80 bucks is going to make all the difference in the world. Focus on getting that keg system up and running and you'll never look back.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
Jud
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ok now lets not do anything crazy, like pouring great beer down the drain!!!!! Yeah not having time or money to brew sucks! But the brew you do get to do, ages, is not rushed to be bottled or kegged. So there for it is really a great quality beer. Something to be shared and enjoyed with friends and family!!!

Besides if you do sale your brewing equipment. That means when money starts flowing again and you have time for hobbies. You are just going to be down at the LHBS buying new equipment. So look at it this way you are saving money!!!

As for having a CO2 bottle sitting around. I moved my 20 pound bottle three times before being able to get all of the equipment to start kegging. And that was before I started to brew beer.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendBrewer View Post
That 80 bucks is going to make all the difference in the world. Focus on getting that keg system up and running and you'll never look back.
+1...I used to HATE bottling....1 big bottle is the way to go...

Old 05-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
WildGingerBrewing
I wish I was Randar
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2121 Times on 2063 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I guarantee you there is not one person on HBT that hasn't had or doesn't have money and time problems. Things will get better. If things are bad right now, think how bad they will be once you've given up such a great hobby! Then you'll REALLY be depressed! Hang in there!

Ginger and I agree on something? - Randar

Old 05-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've been thinking about quitting as well. Can't seem to find the time with all the other house projects, and I've had an infection issue in all my kegs, and I think even the last one that I bottle conditioned is getting the same thing. Battling with that has become very discouraging.

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 05-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
Jud
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If it helps also. I can't brew until I get some new o rings for chiller that I mounted in kettle. Yep got the grain weighted out and all. Filled kettle and saw water leaking. I have to wait until pay day, to fix something so little.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #10
NoNothing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This past year with college I 'quit' for about a year.

I debated selling (I have well over a grand in equipment as Im sure a lot of people do) and figured I could recoup a couple hundred of that.

I gave it a year break, a month ago I started brewing again and I have 20 gallons fermenting downstairs now. Dont quit, if you enjoy it, give it a break, and come back to it.

If you DONT enjoy it anymore, then quit, that's the only reason to get out.

Now, you'd be lucky to get 40% of your initial cost on your equipment, let alone 60%. And it'll be hard to sell every last piece. I reasoned I'd only get an approximate 1/3rd of my initial cost back if I sold.

Finally, your wee heavy will only grow better with time. Dont sweat it. And as far as that last $80 goes, get it as your next purchase in brewing. Dont buy grain, dont buy this or that, get what you need to keg. Kegging makes the whole process take at least an hour less. I can go from carboy to keg and clean carboy in 20 minutes.

Dont give up hope yet!

What is it you need for your kegging equipment. I bet you $20 SOMEONE here has a spare laying in a basement gathering dust they wouldnt mind getting rid of for a homebrewer who needs it for a good deal.