National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Bar;ey Crusher! Barley Crusher! Barley Crusher!

Old 05-17-2010, 12:43 AM   #1
GRHunter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Bar;ey Crusher! Barley Crusher! Barley Crusher!

As most of you know I was whimpering about my low efficiencies and asking for advice. Several people suggested that it might be my grain crush so I went and bought a Barley Crusher. My last two batches had an average efficiency of 58.18%. With my new Barley Crusher I jumped up to 76.94%! I didn't change anything in my process other than to crush my own grain instead of letting my LHBS do it.

Out of the box my rollers were crooked so they needed to be reset. Not really having a gap number in mind I set it at .035 because, well, actually I don't know why I chose that setting. But after the crush I got a little nervous because it was a noticeably much finer crush than what I was used to getting from my LHBS. At this point it wasn't like I could glue all the little grains back together so I just went ahead with brew like normal.

Before I started my boil my refractometer confirmed that I had some pretty good efficiency. My target OG was 1.062 and I actually came in a little high at 1.065. In any case, I am totally ecstatic with the improvement in my efficiency, thanks to my Barley Crusher. Also, thanks to all of you that advised me to examine my crush. Here's a few photos from today's brew.
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC1.jpg
Views:	1030
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	15638   Click image for larger version

Name:	BC2.jpg
Views:	978
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	15639   Click image for larger version

Name:	BC3.jpg
Views:	988
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	15640   Click image for larger version

Name:	BC4.jpg
Views:	982
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	15641   Click image for larger version

Name:	BC5.jpg
Views:	1002
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	15642  

Old 05-17-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
Gritsak
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

I've been struggling to get ~60-65% with my LHBS crushes. Posts like this make me want to invest in a barley crusher.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:28 AM   #3
Dave258
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Nice. Looks like a good day! What did you brew? How hard is it to adjust the barley crusher?
I am hoping to get a barley crusher for father's day, but for now I got grain for 2 all grain brews from Brewmasters warehouse this time. His crush looks finer then any of the crushes I've used so far!
I'm hoping to squeeze a brew day in tomorrow while working from home.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:34 AM   #4
GRHunter
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave258 View Post
Nice. Looks like a good day! What did you brew? How hard is it to adjust the barley crusher?
I am hoping to get a barley crusher for father's day, but for now I got grain for 2 all grain brews from Brewmasters warehouse this time. His crush looks finer then any of the crushes I've used so far!
I'm hoping to squeeze a brew day in tomorrow while working from home.
I brewed a SnowPlow Milk Stout. It was pretty easy to adjust the roller, two screws and a knob. I could have simply asked my LHBS to do a finer crush, or run it through twice. But milling the grain is part of the process that I wanted to get involved with anyway. Actually, it is kind of fun too.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:40 AM   #5
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

Good to hear you got the Effeciency up to where it neds to be. Makes for a better final product.

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 05-17-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 24 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 337 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritsak View Post
I've been struggling to get ~60-65% with my LHBS crushes. Posts like this make me want to invest in a barley crusher.
Do it!!! It will basically pay for itself over time. Better efficiency = less grain used (aka, money savings). Also, you can then buy grain in bulk, saving even more money!

Old 05-17-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't know why anyone would do all grain without one. Why go to a process where you have complete control, then short change yourself by not controlling one important aspect?

Old 05-18-2010, 12:18 AM   #8
Pleepleus
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

My Barley Crusher is no the way. After several years of reading posts on here, and sitting on the fence, I finally took the plunge as well. I already have 150lbs of grain in my garage, painful to look at it sitting there and not be able to use it!

Old 05-18-2010, 12:25 AM   #9
aeonderdonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got one about 6 months back and I love it. Great crush and it has improved my efficiency from mid 60s to low 80s.
Empty
Bottled
EdWort's Apfelwein
Kegged
Pale Onderale
RyePA

Old 05-18-2010, 01:17 AM   #10
JakeTheHopDog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's next on my list of "Honey, I know I said I had everything I needed, but I really need this..."

My Keezer Build

HOP DOG BREWING CO.
Spring Hill, FL
"If you can't drink with the Hop Dog..."

"Doppler Effect": The sudden change in pitch of a car horn as a car passes by.
"Dopeler Effect": The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.