Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can you Brew It recipe for Rogue Shakespeare Stout

Old 01-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #31
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 542 Times on 328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleBlack View Post
Sounds good guys, thanks for all the help.

I ll be making the breakfast stout on the 9th.

Might rack off a gallon, add some bourbon and oak chips and make it into a KBS or even CBS*.

*CBS has near perfect reviews anyone had it?

As for the Shakespeare racking it either tomorrow or day after, cant wait. (might make that one into a Choc Stout Clone, we ll see, i ll let you guys know if i do a side by side of same vintage Shakespeare and Choc Stout.

Happy brewing everybody!
Given that KBS is ~3% higher ABV, and CBS is 2.5% higher, and much "richer", I don't think adding bourbon/oak will produce a "clone", although I am sure it will be a great beer. If you like those big rich stouts, try to score some Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. They are all excellent. All of the Southern Tier backwater series are good also.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #32
eanmcnulty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleBlack
CBS has near perfect reviews anyone had it?
I have had all three in the past month. I have not found anything to rival FBS. I really like the Southern Tier Blackwater series (Creme Brulee, Mokah, Choklat...), but side by side the ST didn't have the fullness and depth of the Founders. I really love Creme Brulee Stout though.

CBS and KBS really take it to the next level. I had CBS and FBS side by side, and the CBS is just so smooth and velvety. Unfortunately I am not very good with descriptions. I have a bottle KBS in my basement. I got two from a friend, had one, and saving the second for next year. I think they are a year old already. Very nice.

So, my brother and I stood in line for an hour to get the CBS on tap at the Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL. I have to say that it was worth it, and I don't like standing in just to taste one beer. If you can find it, you need to.

I'm going to try to brew FBS and Creme Brulee this year. Good luck!

Old 01-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #33
CastleBlack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer View Post
Given that KBS is ~3% higher ABV, and CBS is 2.5% higher, and much "richer", I don't think adding bourbon/oak will produce a "clone", although I am sure it will be a great beer. If you like those big rich stouts, try to score some Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. They are all excellent. All of the Southern Tier backwater series are good also.
Hey man thanks for all this info on the stouts. I am definitely brewing next yrs stouts (starting early Nov probably) based on what you said. The thing is I havent had the KBS or CBS but since you say they are richer then I should look more into it. Agreed also on the Southern Tier, they are much better than what I have given them credit for!

Old 01-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #34
CastleBlack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eanmcnulty View Post
I have had all three in the past month. I have not found anything to rival FBS. I really like the Southern Tier Blackwater series (Creme Brulee, Mokah, Choklat...), but side by side the ST didn't have the fullness and depth of the Founders. I really love Creme Brulee Stout though.

CBS and KBS really take it to the next level. I had CBS and FBS side by side, and the CBS is just so smooth and velvety. Unfortunately I am not very good with descriptions. I have a bottle KBS in my basement. I got two from a friend, had one, and saving the second for next year. I think they are a year old already. Very nice.

So, my brother and I stood in line for an hour to get the CBS on tap at the Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL. I have to say that it was worth it, and I don't like standing in just to taste one beer. If you can find it, you need to.

I'm going to try to brew FBS and Creme Brulee this year. Good luck!
Mmm sounds so tasty!

I admit being enticed by your experience. Will most certainly be brewing one of the clones you and skeezer mention. Southern Tier Creme Brulee, sounds so fine indeed...

Old 01-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #35
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

In have the Creme Brulee recipe from BYO all punched in to Beer Smith. I got a new kettle for Christmas, so that will change how I brew it. I have to make some tweaks. I'm planning on brewing it in February.
I think I'm going to try the FBS also.
On an unrelated style, I also have Avery Maharaja all set to go too. This is the year of the clones!

Old 01-10-2012, 03:51 AM   #36
raptorvan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ST CREME brule is awesome for sure. Since you have some to kill before brew day might I suggest you look into kunnahnn brewerys take on it. Now, this brewery is located in Warren, MI and for the life of me still cannot spell the name correctly. This heed is out of this world...especially their casked version. I'm sure they would, like most microbreweries, be more than happy to give you the grist. Sometimes it is called vanilla Java stout and they use a sparkled to pour it which makes is creamy and smooth and silky. Oh God I gotta go to the brewery now.

I wonder, would dark candie sugar give that charred sugar taste that you get on real creme brule?

Old 01-10-2012, 04:20 AM   #37
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I looked it up. The have a huge beer selection. I wish they were closer to Chicago. I'm going to have to add it to my Michigan brewery roadtrip. It said it was called Imperial Creme Brulee Java Stout. Sounds so good. You think it is better than Southern Tier? Man oh man!
The only thing that would get me more excited would be to find out that Founders was making a Creme Brulee Breakfast Stout.
Thanks for the info, Man!

Old 01-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #38
CastleBlack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eanmcnulty View Post
In have the Creme Brulee recipe from BYO all punched in to Beer Smith. I got a new kettle for Christmas, so that will change how I brew it. I have to make some tweaks. I'm planning on brewing it in February.
I think I'm going to try the FBS also.
On an unrelated style, I also have Avery Maharaja all set to go too. This is the year of the clones!
I was totally planning on making the Maharaja IIPA too! I dont have the recipe though, or for the creme burlee. I do have beer smith though. Any chance of getting the recipe off you?

And while we are at it this is my year of clones too. Already started with
1. SN Celebration Ale (bottle)
2. Stone Arrogant Bastard (bottle)
3. Rogue Shakespeare (secondary)
4. Founders Breakfast Stout (primary)
Further 2012 recipes:
5. Stone Ruination
6. Stone Sublimely Self Righteous
7. Bells Two Hearted
8. DFG 90 min IPA
9. 3 Floyds Alpha King Pale Ale
10. 3 Floyds Gumblall Head
11. Troegs Nugget Nectar
12. Rogue Mocha Porter

I got recipes for all the above and can provide .BSMs gladly if you are making any of these clones.

If you got the recipe for Creme Brulee, Maharaja (and Brian Boru Irish Red, that one is tough to find) I would be glad to have them!

Thanks in advance and Happy Brewing!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #39
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleBlack View Post
I was totally planning on making the Maharaja IIPA too! I dont have the recipe though, or for the creme burlee. I do have beer smith though. Any chance of getting the recipe off you?

And while we are at it this is my year of clones too. Already started with
1. SN Celebration Ale (bottle)
2. Stone Arrogant Bastard (bottle)
3. Rogue Shakespeare (secondary)
4. Founders Breakfast Stout (primary)
Further 2012 recipes:
5. Stone Ruination
6. Stone Sublimely Self Righteous
7. Bells Two Hearted
8. DFG 90 min IPA
9. 3 Floyds Alpha King Pale Ale
10. 3 Floyds Gumblall Head
11. Troegs Nugget Nectar
12. Rogue Mocha Porter

I got recipes for all the above and can provide .BSMs gladly if you are making any of these clones.

If you got the recipe for Creme Brulee, Maharaja (and Brian Boru Irish Red, that one is tough to find) I would be glad to have them!

Thanks in advance and Happy Brewing!
Try the search function for this website. I have transcripted all the recipes from a popular podcast that focuses on cloning beer. The link for that (which also links Maharaja) is in my signature. Happy Brewing!

Eric

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Old 01-12-2012, 01:53 AM   #40
CastleBlack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks Eric, Shall do. This was a great deed from your side.