Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How do you buy grain in bulk?

Old 05-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #11
archiefl98
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I usually throw in my specialty malts 2# at a time on an internet order. (To make the $60 mark on Morebeer and get free shipping usually) It's nice that 1# of grain seems to fit perfectly into a 1-qt mason jar. Then I seal that up with the jar attachment on the FoodSaver and toss it in the freezer. So far it's been working like a champ.

Fermenting: A few beers

Conditioning: A few other beers
Bottled: A few more beers
Kegged: Many beers
Next Brews: More beers than you could imagine

Old 05-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
bmckee56
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiefl98 View Post
I usually throw in my specialty malts 2# at a time on an internet order. (To make the $60 mark on Morebeer and get free shipping usually) It's nice that 1# of grain seems to fit perfectly into a 1-qt mason jar. Then I seal that up with the jar attachment on the FoodSaver and toss it in the freezer. So far it's been working like a champ.
They have 1 gallon mason jars available too ya know! I have 6 of them and use them to store grain as you do, but on the heavier side. I use the 1qt jars for my specialty grain as you describe. 2 shelves in the upright freezer are reserved for grain storage only. SWMBO complains about space from time to time, but she likes home brew as much as I do and bites her lip (rare occurance it is).

Salute!

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Old 05-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #13
Jud
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi View Post
I am lucky the homebrew store is 5 miles from me.

Got you beat!!! 4 miles

Old 05-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #14
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 24 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 338 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use my credit card.

Wait, what? oh, Mid country malt...it's close and I only get base grains.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #15
Jud
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

TheMan That is just mean I mean really not cool!!!!! Rubbing it in that you are close enough to drive. That is FREAKEN SWEET!!!!!!

Old 05-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #16
bmckee56
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have 3 within 8 miles of my home (8/3=2.66 that's less than 3). All owned and operated by the same people. Good people too! http://www.southhillsbrewing.com/. Actually there are a few others in the area, but I use South Hills for all my brewing and Wine related needs.

Salute!
On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Old 05-16-2010, 01:31 AM   #17
oceanselv
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
I use my credit card.

Wait, what? oh, Mid country malt...it's close and I only get base grains.
One of the few advantages of being a South Sider LOL. I'm from Wheaton originally.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:52 AM   #18
Apendecto
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathani View Post

I did buy a 55lb bag of chocolate and caramel 60. That was a mistake. I haven't used hardly any of those yet. I'm sure they'll go stale before I use them. I give that stuff to anyone that wants it.
I'm listening....

Old 05-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #19
SamuraiSquirrel
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

This is pretty much what everyone else said ...........

Buy the base malt in bulk. 50# sounds like a lot but if you're brewing 4-5 batchs every couple months or even in a year you'll use it up.

Depending on where you are located and where you can get bulk grain it may or may not even make sense to buy it bulk. Where I am at we have mid-country malt about an hour away so a trip out there for a couple sacks makes sense.

It works out to about half the price of what you pay at the online places. If I had to pay shipping it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Do you have bulk hops? If not, thats where the real savings is at (especially if you like hoppy pale ales or IPA's). 12ish bucks a pound from hops direct compared to 3 bucks an ounce (or more depending on where you buy) = huge savings.

Bulk grain can save you a few bucks but if you add in the cost of a mill it might take you a little while to recoup that investment depending on how much you brew.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #20
Brewenstein
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeast_infection View Post
This is pretty much what everyone else said ...........

Buy the base malt in bulk. 50# sounds like a lot but if you're brewing 4-5 batchs every couple months or even in a year you'll use it up.

Depending on where you are located and where you can get bulk grain it may or may not even make sense to buy it bulk. Where I am at we have mid-country malt about an hour away so a trip out there for a couple sacks makes sense.

It works out to about half the price of what you pay at the online places. If I had to pay shipping it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Do you have bulk hops? If not, thats where the real savings is at (especially if you like hoppy pale ales or IPA's). 12ish bucks a pound from hops direct compared to 3 bucks an ounce (or more depending on where you buy) = huge savings.

Bulk grain can save you a few bucks but if you add in the cost of a mill it might take you a little while to recoup that investment depending on how much you brew.
Worth repeating. I live in the Chicagoland area also, and was part of a group buy from Mid Country Malt. Bought my hops from Hops Direct (worked out to 65 cents per ounce even with shipping). Specialty grains, sanitizer, bottle caps bought from Ed at Brewmaster's Warehouse - flat rate $6.99 shipping - still cheaper than LBHS.