Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > AHS's Strawberry Extract Flavoring ....Anyone have any input?

Old 05-14-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
Garr-Ro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default AHS's Strawberry Extract Flavoring ....Anyone have any input?

I have a blonde ale in the primary and was curious if anyone has used AHS's strawberry extract flavoring prior to kegging? Wanting a fruity beer for all to enjoy on the party barge over the upcoming holiday weekend. Thanks in advance for any & all comments / suggestions.

Link: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...roducts_id=497

Tap #1: REDMAN Ale
Tap #2: KT's Who You Callin' HEFE?
Tap #3: Watermelon Wheat
Tap #4: Nada.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
Garr-Ro
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Ok - Since the holiday weekend has come and gone.....along with the 5 gal batch of strawberry blonde ale, I figured I would update this post since it has had a few views and no replies.

I went ahead and used (1) 2 oz bottle of AHS's strawberry extract flavoring in this batch. After cold crashing and using gelatin in the secondary, I split the 2 ounce bottle and poured 1 ounce into (x2) 2.5 gal cornies for the portable kegerator. I then racked the beer ontop of the flavoring and forced carbed. The beer turned out great and got rave reviews on the lake (5 gal's vanished after 3 hours of drinkin' time). The website states "Use 2 oz per 5 gallons of beer, or use 4 oz for a more aggresive flavor." I found that the 2 oz per 5 gallon batch was the perfect amount. It added a distinct nose and flavor to the beer without any off or medicinal / cough medicine characteristics. When compared to say...Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde, the flavor was more intense, as well as the nose, when comparing the strawberry notes...not the beer style. I feel using a full 4 oz (2 bottles) in a 5 gal batch would be a bit strong and could overpower the beer (just my 2 cents....do what ya like!).

After this experience with the flavoring extracts, I would use it / them again but now with more time prior to the next lake event and an increasing pipeline, I plan on playing around with some of the fresh fruit options covered in other HBT threads.
Tap #1: REDMAN Ale
Tap #2: KT's Who You Callin' HEFE?
Tap #3: Watermelon Wheat
Tap #4: Nada.
People Like This 
Old 06-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Cool, thanks for the update. It's always great to hear from people who've brewed with stuff like extracts

Tags
blonde ale, extract flavoring, strawberry